Need help to recover files that can't be found on a corrupted Macbook Pro unit.

Reaction score
After I put my laptop on sleep mode for around 2 months, when I tried to start it again, there was a blinking question mark that popped out. I check the internet and saw that I have to do Internet Recovery to reboot my computer by pressing Command + R and Power button simultaneously until it restarts. When it restarts, with the use of wifi, I tried the "Internet Recovery". After almost 4 hrs, the OS X Utilities prompted. When I clicked the Disk Utility > 500.11 GB Apple HDD Toshiba MK5065GSXF Media > First Aid > Verify Disk (The partition map appears to be OK) message prompted. Also, when I click Mac OS X Base System which is a subfolder under the disk1 > First Aid > Verify Disk (The volume MAC OS X Base System appears to be OK) message prompted. Under this subfolder, I can see the capacity is only 1.19 GB, Available is 38.3 MG, Number of files is 35,260, Number of folders is 10,753.
The problem here is when I went to 2 service centers, they removed my hardrive and put it in their computer. Then they told me they can't find any files saved in the hard drive. They said they can only reinstall the OS and since it is not possible to retrieve files that are already deleted, they can't help me with regards to the recovery of files. I never deleted any files. When I got home, I tried to check if the Mac OS X Base System that shows 35,620 no. of files in the Disk Utility is still there. And to my surprise it is still there. I don't know why it didn't reflect when the technician checked (by removing my hard drive & putting it in their own pc). My problem is I really need those files and I don't have back up, unfortunately. Could anyone tell me or recommend me what to do to recover my files? Just FYI, I haven't reinstalled OS yet bec I was told when I do, all my files will permanently be deleted. I bought my laptop when I was in Japan in 2012. I asked the Apple Technicians here in PH and they told me that even the technicians in Japan will not be able to recover deleted files. Could anyone help me???
Thanks.
-Anne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sadly Apple and another company if I read your thread correctly, have told you the files are not recoverable so I think that is that. Did any of the messages that were 'prompted' mention the state of the hard drive at all? And if the drive was used in a PC it may have been reformatted.

Another sad story of not having current backups on an external hard drive alas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Instead of selecting Disk Utility, did you try the "Install Mac OS X" option? Select it and let us know the options, you "may" be able to install the OS without overwriting your data, if it is physically still there on the drive.

Or, if you know another person that owns a Mac, you could connect the two using FireWire/thunderbolt connections and use Target Disk Mode, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.