need help ASAP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i ran ONYX on my macbook air just a day or so ago and then installed newest version of MS Word for mac.
all went well...

this am logged on to do some work and noticed things a bit slow.
looked at apple preferences and storage for APPS had jumped from 29.46 just after I ran ONYX to 84.96.
i have not downloaded any new apps... can't figure out what is going on.

my system is so very slow it took forever to get on to this site. at one point after I had logged in and was waiting for site to allow me to view my posts etc....message: cannot sign on too many connections. did not know what that meant either.

i did shut now and restart but that did not make any difference.
can anyone help me figure out what is taking up all the apps space???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you mean Lffice 2016 or Office 365?

Did you uninstall an earlier version of Office using the quite lengthy uninstall directions from Microsoft and simply not dragging to the Trash? Is an earlier version still on the Air?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
A few questions. What year is your macbook air? How much memory does it have. How large is your SSD? Are you still running Yosemite and if not what version of OS X?

Do you have Time Machine set up and if so how? If it is to a drive you have to attach the extra data could be a temporary Time Machine file waiting for the drive to become available. How much is in your trash and does it need to be emptied?

Are you running any anti-virus?

I am just asking questions so we can begin to narrow down your problem. Also Onyx is not the issue. It deletes and empties not create files.

BTW: The site has been having problems so getting on has been slow but it seems to be fixed now. How is it doing with other sites?

Lisa

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh my so glad to have you back....the site was shut down and i was little concerned.

thanks for replying harry
I have MS Office 2016 for Mac..it is the standalone version and not Office 365.

I had version 15.1 and was using until i ran into sluggish responses. was advised to update to current version 15.4 which I did. I did not delete the original version and just executed update from link i was provided...thinking the new would replace the old.
by delete i mean...i dragged it to trash and emptied trash.

NO i did not use lengthy uninstall from MS....was not aware of did not how to uninstall an app.

after I install the updated version i noticed my apple.storage for APP was so high. i thought the old version may still be there but when i looked in my apps folder at dates etc..it showed current date so i presume new replaced the old version.

hope this helps... i have other replies which is will reply to also.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for replying lisa
1. my mac is early 2015.
2. it has 8gb memory, i purchased extra.
3. my drive is not SSD (as i understand that is solid state drive) i have a flash drive and don't know if that is different or not.
4. i still am running yosemite and chose not to upgrade to el captain or sierra as I heard that some apps would not run...tho that could have been in earlier days and I did not followup. now see that I can only get high sierra as sierra is no longer available.
5. i did do a backup just a couple of days ago....using time machine to my 320gb external drive. all that has been safely removed. so that is not the issue.
6. i have emptied my trash...that was one of the main things i checked.

i realize that ONYX was not the issue - it just seemed after I did that...all my problems began. I am beginning to suspect I have files still connected to old MS Office lingering in background and not sure how to get them deleted. have heard about AppCleaner is good for that.

site problems...i was able to get on to other sites no problem.

hope i have answered all questions.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
site problems...i was able to get on to other sites no problem

Yes, Lori, this Forum has been down for close to 48 hours - at least that has been my experience.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yeah I agree with Patrick. Try one of the apps he is suggesting and see what is taking up the space. I suspect your old version of MS Office is still lurking around.

Oh, and you do have an SSD in your MB Air. That is all they come with. A Flash drive is like an external SSD. I understand terms can get confusing. ;D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS: This fellow seems to have a different opinion of which apps to suggest:

What's eating up your hard drive? These 5 utilities tell all
https://www.macworld.com/article/28...ur-hard-drive-these-5-utilities-tell-all.html

At least there's some choices… :Smirk:

PPS: Is Time Machine usually involved but the backup drive not connected and is piling up a huge "backup"???

I can't recall the name of the file that can create.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks lisa
i thought SSD stood for solid state drive.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi patrick and thanks for the links.
i already had downloaded but not yet installed Grand Perspective...
but I looked at Disk Inventory X and it seems a bit better for me to understand...tho when i clicked on the link.
it said unavailable...cannot connect to alice??? site.
do you have another link that will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
thanks lisa
i thought SSD stood for solid state drive.

Hi Lori.... - SSD = Solid State Drive, i.e. no moveable parts, as in magnetic spinners HDs - my MBAir (early 2015 w/ 128 GB SSD) & MBPro (early 2013 w/ 256 SSD) both have solid drives as stated by Lisa - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but I looked at Disk Inventory X and it seems a bit better for me to understand...tho when i clicked on the link.
it said unavailable...cannot connect to alice??? site.
do you have another link that will work?

Hmmm…odd. The links work for me.

Anyway, try the developers page and download it from there:
http://www.derlien.com

- Patrick
======

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks patrick....
i think i have replied to this out of order ....

while i was waiting i proceeded along. ran App Cleaner...to get rid of MS Office components and all their misc files hiding. then ran ONYX.

checked apple info storage and it is now 76.97 but not anywhere near it was before all this started. then it was 29.46...
my concern was that as I use more apps...my drive is filling up with APPs and not my files and this just doesn't seems make sense to me....see attached.
i know someone said on this site i think that the values in that area were not that accurate...but something sure is off.
I ran grand perspectives hoping something could pop out. nothing looked out of ordinary to me anyway. now i am totally confused. it just can't be that over half my drive is taken up with APPS..can it??

and i was successful in getting disk inventory X...thanks

preview nov 18.jpg

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so what kind of drives does the macbook pro have...i am thinking of getting one soon...
with lots of extra ram, speedy processor and lot of storage.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harry
what are you referring to: uninstall Office using quite lengthy uninstall directions from MS.

i did just finish running AppCleaner which deleted MS and all its bits and pieces in various locations...at least I think that is what occurred.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to all of you who are trying to help me out...
feel like i am running around in circles and so i will take a break now and hopefully tomorrow will be a better and successful day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now i am totally confused. it just can't be that over half my drive is taken up with APPS..can it??

What does the Finder say about the size of your "Applications" folder when you select it and then do "Get Info" (command + i )???

And maybe check the Applications folder in your Home (Users folder) as well using the same method.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to all of you who are trying to help me out...
feel like i am running around in circles and so i will take a break now and hopefully tomorrow will be a better and successful day.

I hope you enjoy your break, but meantime I'll leave this here which seems awfully familiar and I'd suggest that Yosemite has just screwed up with its calculations:
Incorrect storage calculation on OSX Yosemite
https://superuser.com/questions/833808/incorrect-storage-calculation-on-osx-yosemite

The color for your apps may have changed due to something ONYX may have done or changed. And as suggested there, the Spotlight index may have goofed up as well.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.