Need advice on Airplay devices

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time on these forums:)

I am getting airplay for my room but I'm not sure which airport express I should get, 1st generation or 2nd? I am only going to need to connect in my room, nowhere else, so the range doesn't need to be far. Is there any difference between the two? If there is please explain it to me, I'm not that technically savvy. Thank you :)

C

chas_m

Your question doesn't really make any sense. AirPlay is not something you "get" -- it's either on the equipment you have, or it isn't.

As the first-gen Airport Express is no longer sold by Apple, this makes the answer to your question a no-brainer.

Maybe some specific details on what pieces of equipment you are actually getting and what you intend to accomplish would allow us to offer some advice.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm getting speakers that I'm going to hook up to airport express so I can stream music from my Macbook but I don't know the advantages of getting the 2nd gen airport express as opposed to the 1st gen.

C

chas_m

For that purpose, there aren't any advantages or disadvantages. It works exactly the same way. I'd suggest the 2nd-gen because as a general rule, very old hardware meeting new software = issues. The 2nd-gen model has lots various major and minor advantages over the first gen, including support for faster 802.11 protocols which is obviously important when streaming music, but then we'd need to know more about how old the MacBook is for that to be relevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
there is absolutely no advantage in getting the first gen express.

1. Apple no longer make or sell them
2. You'll be relying on buying second hand and now very outdated technology
3. The second gen will work far better with your relatively up to date MBA

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.