Need advice deciding between two

Reaction score
Hey everyone- first post here!

So amidst all the 2016 MacBook Pro hype I've gone for a 2015 13inch with 2.9ghz/512gb/8gb which I got for £1400.

However with a little more research I saw I can get educational discount (I'm a teacher) and get a 2.7ghz/512gb/16gb 2015 13 inch from Apple for £1610.

My question is am I over thinking it? I use my current MacBook for Logic Pro and everyday uses. I know either machine will be a big bump up for me; I guess it's more a case of will I need 16gb RAM in the future with updates/new software and plugins? Or is this extra RAM not going to be noticeable with what I'm using it for?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Our advice is always buy as much machine as you can afford keeping in mind your future needs. With that in mind, the 16GB model for £1610 might be a better choice. Also, have you considered the new line of MacBook Pro machines that Apple has announced for 2016?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So amidst all the 2016 MacBook Pro hype I've gone for a 2015 13inch with 2.9ghz/512gb/8gb which I got for £1400.

Are you able to return this one...if you decided to get the other one?

However with a little more research I saw I can get educational discount (I'm a teacher) and get a 2.7ghz/512gb/16gb 2015 13 inch from Apple for £1610.

My question is am I over thinking it? I use my current MacBook for Logic Pro and everyday uses. I know either machine will be a big bump up for me; I guess it's more a case of will I need 16gb RAM in the future with updates/new software and plugins? Or is this extra RAM not going to be noticeable with what I'm using it for?

If it were me...and if I was going to keep this computer for 3-5 years...16gig of RAM might be a good idea. Plus 16gig of RAM when it comes to selling it in 3-5 or more years...could be a big selling point in a computer that has non-upgradeable RAM.:)

- Nick

p.s. In addition to the educational discount. Always look at refurbished models as well.:)

OP
G
Reaction score
Are you able to return this one...if you decided to get the other one?

I can return it but there would be a £20 return fee as I bought it from an authorised reseller.

I plan to have this laptop running for a while. RAM would help prolong its life?

OP
G
Reaction score
Also, have you considered the new line of MacBook Pro machines that Apple has announced for 2016?

I've not been overly impressed with the 2016 model so thought I'd save a bit of cash and go with last years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan to have this laptop running for a while. RAM would help prolong its life?

All we can do is look at things historically. Over time...more & more RAM is needed as time marches on.

You would probably be fine with 8gig of RAM for a number of years. But you never know if your needs will change...or if the computing world itself changes.

Prior to 2012...the amount of RAM purchased with a MacBook Pro wasn't such a big deal. Since the RAM was always user upgradeable. But with some 2012 models and beyond...RAM is soldered to the logic board & is not upgradeable.

It's one of those difficult decisions. Difficult to predict the future. The less time you intend on keeping it...the more likely 8gig of RAM will be fine. The longer you intend on keeping it. The more 16gig may be better.

- Nick

p.s. I did some quick researching on Logic Pro system requirements. And most folks say 8gig of RAM is fine most of the time. Only more complex projects may require more RAM.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks.

Is there any sort of trade off with getting 16gb? Will I notice a difference in longevity and performance between the 2.7 and 2.9ghz processors?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any sort of trade off with getting 16gb?

Not sure what sort of trade-offs your thinking of. More money out of your wallet is all I'm thinking.;) But then you have more RAM (or now, for the future, for when it's time to sell it).

Will I notice a difference in longevity and performance between the 2.7 and 2.9ghz processors?

Doubtful. It's a small speed-bump. About a 4.6% CPU benchmark difference.

If I had my choice between 16gig of RAM and a 2.9ghz CPU...I'd go for the 16gig of RAM everytime.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Nick. I guess I thought battery life could take a hit or something.

It's a lot of money but for the future it's probably best to upgrade

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help Nick. I guess I thought battery life could take a hit or something.

Ok...now I understand what you were thinking.:) If 16gig or RAM uses more "juice" than 8gig of RAM. I don't think it's anything major...or minor.:)

And even if theoretically it gave you 5-10 minutes less runtime on a full battery charge. The benefits are much greater than the penalties.:)

Go for it...regret free!!!:):)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.