• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My thoughts on Windows 8

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really can't stand the GUI interface with those large icons. Looks comic to me. Sorry! :D

And I have been using Launchpad from time to time. Amazing! :D

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
What's worse about Windows 8 (on tablets) is that it won't be able to run Windows apps. So, consumer confusion is going to be its death knell. People will buy it assuming that Windows is Windows and see it as an advantage over an iPad. But when they find that they can't run those apps, they'll be disappointed in the lack luster (almost non-existant) selection of Windows 8 tablet apps.

ARM based Windows 8 tablets won't run intel/amd Windows apps. I'm sure that hardware manufacturers will continue to make intel/amd tablets for Windows 8.

But yeah, you make some great points. I just can't wait to see competition fuel the race towards a better product.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Okay, heres my thoughts on Windows 8.

To be a fair judge to it, I installed it on a fast, desktop PC. I installed it on a dedicated hard drive (no VM's) etc. This gives it a fair test. its not sharing resources, its literally running natively. I ran it at 1920 x 1080.

Transitions between metro and the classic interface were smooth and fast, like swiping between menus on an iPad.

I wish people would stop moaning about the green Start menu and login windows etc. I'm sure it would have looked really brilliant if they had went for a rainbow scheme to accomodate everyone's taste. Plus, theres nothing to say they wont add in a feature to change the colour so really, it's irrelevant anyway.

Metro apps. I like the idea. I kind of like the execution of that idea. Its good that traditional apps are assigned a pane in the metro view. And honestly, I think it looks really neat at a high resolution.

Some of the Metro apps they included were a bit wierd. But Im sure people will develop some really great ones. (Yes, they are apps. Apple do not own that term. They work exactly the same as they would on a phone.)

The GUI needed change. I think the way they went about implementing a change is wierd, but change is good. I like how they were thinking out of the box. Windows 8 has it's own character.

Of course, theres bits I dont like, but Im going to stick that in my video review. Honestly, i dont think it deserves some of the criticisms its recieving.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It runs fine and fast here Rob, I just do not like the Metro UI. I am running it natively on a decently fast Notebook with 2GB RAM. It's fine except I just dislike Metro. I can take or leave the Green. That is not an issue. Just the one thing.

Also the video driver for my Gpu has some issues. I am sure that will be worked out. It made the Weather thing go slow because of the animation. Could not find another driver as yet. I am sure that will be fixed.

Am going to try it on my gaming machine later. Very fast system and 7 flies on it. Will report back.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
It runs fine and fast here Rob, I just do not like the Metro UI. I am running it natively on a decently fast Notebook with 2GB RAM. It's fine except I just dislike Metro. I can take or leave the Green. That is not an issue. Just the one thing.

Also the video driver for my Gpu has some issues. I am sure that will be worked out. It made the Weather thing go slow because of the animation. Could not find another driver as yet. I am sure that will be fixed.

Am going to try it on my gaming machine later. Very fast system and 7 flies on it. Will report back.

Thats fair, Dennis, not everyone will like it.

I imagine Metro responds poorly to those trackpads on windows machines?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats fair, Dennis, not everyone will like it.

I imagine Metro responds poorly to those trackpads on windows machines?

Actually the trackpad works well. I need to play with the settings a bit as the scroll is a bit too sensitive, but otherwise works as well as it did in Windows 7.

I installed it on my Gaming system. That made a large difference in responsivness and the weather app looks smooth as can be.

Found out what is going on, on the notebook with integrated graphics, it's putting in some generic Microsoft video driver and that is the reason it came up as 800x600 default. Will see if I can a better driver later. Van, that is why the Weather app background was all jerky. It's the same on the Integrated on the Mini.

Found a few bugs but for a Developer Preview, that does not shock me. Otherwise it runs well. I just am not a fan ON THE DESKTOP, of the Metro UI. I do agree with Rob though, it's 100x better when you can set the Resolution up at higher and native levels of the LCD!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i quite like the GUI changes

To be honest, so do I. It's slick and clean and an excellent metaphor for a tablet device. I just don't like it as a Start menu replacement on a PC - it just doesn't make sense to me there.

As a "dashboard" like interface or a screen saver, I think it works. But again, my main complaint is trying to make the desktop metaphors fit on a tablet, and the Metro UI on a PC. One size doesn't fit all - if you really must, at least make it optional and less intrusive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, so do I. It's slick and clean and an excellent metaphor for a tablet device. I just don't like it as a Start menu replacement on a PC - it just doesn't make sense to me there.

As a "dashboard" like interface or a screen saver, I think it works. But again, my main complaint is trying to make the desktop metaphors fit on a tablet, and the Metro UI on a PC. One size doesn't fit all - if you really must, at least make it optional and less intrusive.

Agree completely.

If you pump up he resolution most of it fits and it looks a lot better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think iOS 5 will be a nice improvement, but I do think that they need some kind of centralized "kiosk" screen for information streaming, in the same vein as Windows 8 (at least on the iPad).

A good friend of mine is running the latest build of iOS 5 on his iPhone 4. The "kiosk" is there, you just swipe down from the top of any home screen and it slides down. All kinds of into you can store in there, pretty slick.

On a side note, am I to understand that all of the members posting in this thread have legal copies of this Windows 8 Beta? Is it an "open to the public" thing? Just asking.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um Baggss, I am shocked! You know we would never allow talk about a pirated Anything here on Mac Forums! :D

Google it. Windows 8 Developer Preview. FREE download for anyone who wants to try it, but be warned, that interface might make you freak out! :D True tablet interface on a Desktop. Insanity! :D Grin

Thanks for the info on IOS5. Sounds very exciting. Hope it runs good on my 1st Gen iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Um Baggss, I am shocked! You know we would never allow talk about a pirated Anything here on Mac Forums! :D

Google it. Windows 8 Developer Preview. FREE download for anyone who wants to try it, but be warned, that interface might make you freak out! :D True tablet interface on a Desktop. Insanity! :D Grin

Thanks for the info on IOS5. Sounds very exciting. Hope it runs good on my 1st Gen iPad.

I sort of gathered but I figured I'd ask. Not sure if it's worth messing with at this point, I'm still running XP on VMWare and for what I do, it's ok.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Baggss, do not bother! I am because I am curious and have extra systems to test out things like this and also wanted to know for sure about Metro. Well I found out! :D

Keep your XP on that VMWare! If you wanted Windows 7, I would say go for it as it's a solid OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
A swing & a miss...

I think Microsoft has seen what Apple's doing with OS X & iOS; crossing-over features as is actually useful, and have tried to jump the gun by actually creating a single, universal OS.

It will simply pack a load of UI features not useful on any practical desktop set-up, meaning that anyone with any sense will disable the Metro UI for their PC (essentially turning it into Windows 7); while sacrificing a load of useful functions to slim-down the kernel that will still be heavy for phones & tablets (which will still only run Windows Phone style applications anyway).

Windows 8 basically seems to be Microsoft's attempt to make Windows 7 & Windows Phone 7 meet in the middle, but it has just been left with the worst aspects of both! A mobile OS that can (usefully) do no more than the previous version but drains your battery faster, and a desktop OS that has a clumsy interface (albeit one that can be got rid of if you go to the effort of editing the, *sigh*, registry) and is less capable than the previous version!

The only devices I can see it being worth installing Windows 8 on are Windows 7 tablet PCs, where the Metro UI & trimmed kernel would actually be an improvement. Even then, any non-Metro Apps are going to have the same UI flaws as before...

Visually, personally, the Metro UI reminds me a little bit of the LCARS (Library Computer Access / Retrieval System) interface from Star Trek, just with a green background instead of black & sharp corners on the tiles instead of rounded...

I'm thinking that Mike Okuda (the guy who designed those panels, colloquially known as "Okudagrams", for Star Trek) should have words with the Metro development team & tell them to be a little more imaginative!

(Ok, maybe the similarities are a bit tenuous; but I'm a Trekkie, we notice these things!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.