My mac is hacked

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Alls I can say is I see a whole bunch of ips blocked through that gateway now that I have the firewall on.

ports blocked for a couple of exploits. i knew my mysql installation was insecure but never thought it would matter...

Traffic on a port does not equal an exploit. There is ALWAYS traffic on lots of different ports when you have connectivity to the Internet. Just because you don't understand the nature of the traffic does not mean there is a hacker at the other end of it. Get the IP, use an IP location search tool, do WHOIS lookups if you're curious about the traffic, but don't assume you're being hacked.

I mean, it's good to be at least a little paranoid, but this reminds me a lot of the newbies that come onto a forum saying "my computer has a virus" just because their computer is doing something they don't understand.

The software firewalls are mostly irrelevant as almost all modern modems act as a hardware (NAT) firewall. Where they come in useful is for blocking outbound traffic from the computer itself and when you're connecting to public networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You wanna know what a real hack is? Here are some examples:

Dane-Cook.jpg

steve_harvey3.jpg

carlos_mencia.jpg

There are many other examples which follow in that same vain, but there's no doubt that THOSE are examples of real HACKS !

Doug

Reaction score
thx cwa107

Now that my wife has come home, she's assured me that I'm paranoid.

Thank god it's nothing serious.

originally what happened is the mouse started going haywire and some other stuff. naturally enough, first thing I do is shut down the computer.

It reboots, I put ifconfig down, and then I go through the logs. _mysql is running sh, but once I turn on wireless, I don't let it use the net. Maybe nothing serious.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in tracing the ips. Have done it before, but it's been awhile. How far can you get with that? what can you realistically expect to find?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
All I can do is laugh :D

Reaction score
that's not all you can do, ThePope43! If I get around to crowd-sourcing tracing the the ip's, you can choose to do one yourself.

That would take some log trimmin tho :(

Reaction score
One ip was

looked it up got this

It's in DC. Probably some dork just doing a port scan for kicks.

Here's a link to where they arelink

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.