My first mac!!

Reaction score
Im getting it today, its a little older, but its a start

Mac g4 533mhz
1 gig ram
40gb hd
Running Tiger 10.4

Will i be able to run windows anyway on the machine?

This for 100.00, good deal?

Also how will this compare to the computer i currently use that is PC Based, running an amd 3700 and 1 gig of ram?

any good sites that show processor comparisons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
You will not be able to run Windows natively on the machine, no.

Don't know about the price, but it sounds reasonable if a bit high

How will a 533MHz G4 compare to an Athlon 64 3700+?

Are you familiar with the Bugatti Veyron? You know, the fastest "production" car in the world? Rated at 1001HP, runs 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds, tops out at something north of 250MPH? Yeah. Imagine the Athlon is the Bugatti and the G4 is a Yugo and you'll begin to understand.

The 533 G4 is basically comparable to a 500-700MHz P3. By today's standards, it's not very fast. At all.

OP
K
Reaction score
anyone else have any insight? is this a good price?

i just need a mac to learn on before i spend the big bucks on one, im still not fully converted yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
First, Welcome to the forums!

A little pricey for a G4 but it has Tiger so that's a nice addition, Where are you getting it? I've bought all my Mac's off of Craigslist; where you can find great deals from people who don't know what they have... Try an get a set of install discs for Tiger included in the $100!

iMacKid500 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
anyone else have any insight? is this a good price?

i just need a mac to learn on before i spend the big bucks on one, im still not fully converted yet

You went from a 64 bit current gen. Processor to a computer made 6 or more years ago.
It will work but it will be slow.

No Windows support either.

OP
K
Reaction score
well, im on it now, i think its pretty nice and quick, the o.s is sweet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
I'm glad your liking your new system, a transitition from a pc to a mac is kinda like finding the $100 bill in your old piggy-bank...

Yes, you can put a wi-fi card in a G4 PowerMac, make sure you get a 11g PCI card, and if you have tiger, it will be plug in play; slap it in and there you go... Here's a link: (great price) : http://www.macwireless.com/html/products/11g_11b_cards/11gPCI.php

Have fun with your NEW Mac!
PM me if you need ne-thing else...

iMacKid500 :)

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks will any pci 11g card work? can you find one cheaper than that? like around 20.00?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use any 11g WiFi Card it just has to be Mac compatiable! Best place to look is your local craigslist they always have what i'm loooking for mac wise...
-Peace-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
There are a number of PC .11G cards that will work out of the box; find one with a broadcom chipset and it ought to work as the Airport cards have broadcom chipsets. You could also put an airport card into a pci -> minipci adapter, i suppose, but you'd have to get antennas for it off ebay.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That machine is a Digital Audio and has a 133Mhz Bus. I would say it's sort of like a PIII 700Mhz or so Copermine in overall performance. It's really hard to compare as OSX is very different (Thank god) from Windows. For Web Surfing, Music, Email, it will do you so you can get used to OSX. It already has 1GB ram so you are ok in that department. The price is fair for a Digital Audio. Glad it has Tiger and 1GB Ram. The machine can be made a LOT faster but I would not invest a lot of $$$ into it especially since you want to get a newer Mac down the road. It should be fine as is to get the hang of OSX.

That 533Mhz should be like I said a Digital Audio and the Digital Audio has a built in socket for the older Airport card. They are going for very high prices, so take Geeky's advice and try to find a USB card with that chipset. There are a few out there that work with OSX. I can find one for you if you want.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4-133.shtml

OP
K
Reaction score
That machine is a Digital Audio and has a 133Mhz Bus. I would say it's sort of like a PIII 700Mhz or so Copermine in overall performance. It's really hard to compare as OSX is very different (Thank god) from Windows. For Web Surfing, Music, Email, it will do you so you can get used to OSX. It already has 1GB ram so you are ok in that department. The price is fair for a Digital Audio. Glad it has Tiger and 1GB Ram. The machine can be made a LOT faster but I would not invest a lot of $$$ into it especially since you want to get a newer Mac down the road. It should be fine as is to get the hang of OSX.

That 533Mhz should be like I said a Digital Audio and the Digital Audio has a built in socket for the older Airport card. They are going for very high prices, so take Geeky's advice and try to find a USB card with that chipset. There are a few out there that work with OSX. I can find one for you if you want.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g4-133.shtml
Yeah thanks, could you help me find one? I dont really know what im looking for!

Thank you!

OP
K
Reaction score
how about this one?
NetGear WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter

i found one refurbished for 28.00

also does the pci outpreform the usb of anything?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
how about this one?
NetGear WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter

i found one refurbished for 28.00

also does the pci outpreform the usb of anything?

Can you post the URL? Does it flat out say OSX support?

Edit: Netgear says it has OSX support. So it will work.

OP
K
Reaction score
what a rip off, question can you find me a pci wireless card for under 30.00 im looking but having no luck, if i cant find one i will go with the asus, but how do you load drivers if its not "compatible"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.