Music from cd to macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Good day to all.
I was thinking about getting some music from a cd. I have bought a external cd/dvd player
on connecting the unit to the usb on MacBook it fires up the drive. On the instructions it states it should show up in finder. Can’t see it. Help please
And if I get it running would it be possible to transfer the music from the cd to the music app?
thanks.
David.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The optical drive does not show up, unless a disc is inserted/inside it. Depending on your OS version, you can either use iTunes or Music to import your music.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@david,

A couple of tips if this is your first time importing from CD - of course you may be a past master of this :) .

Open iTunes or Music according the OS (Music appears in macOS Catalina and macOS 11 Big Sur).

Then go into System Preferences (shortcut is Command plus comma).

Under Files, you will see this:

S1.png

Now click on Import Settings. You will see this:

S2.png

Here is where you decide the setting that you wish to apply to the CD music. I have chosen Apple Lossless Encoder (ALAC) to retain CD quality; but the file size is much increased. You can choose your own. The setting is "Automatic" if you choose Apple Lossless Encoder but can be changed for all other options.

If you are running any OS up to and including macOS Mojave (ie iTunes), the Import Settings are under General. But otherwise the same.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Last edited:
OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Thanks once again.
Sorry for delay in reply.No email notification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.