Mullvad and "osascript wants to make changes" prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MacInWin

I was exploring VPN service. I presently use PureVPN, and it works pretty well, but Mullvad got the highest rating from PCWorld recently, so i thought I'd give that a try.

Installed the app, got an account number, set it up and connected for the first time. Worked well, seemed ok. Disconnected with no issues.

Opened Mullvad again, to run a speed test, got an immediate prompt that "osascript wants to make changes" and asking for my password. Researched osascript, it's a part of the OS. From my research, osascript executes scripts, both Applescripts and other OSA language scripts. Haven't given my password because I don't know what changes it wants to make and why. Has anybody else used Mullvad on a Mac? Is this normal? Osascript is NOT shown in Activity Monitor as a running process. My concern is that the FIRST run of Mullvad didn't prompt me, but every time I invoke it now, it does.

I got Mullvad from the developer website, so I'm not suspecting any bundleware things, but I'm not authorizing osascript until I know what is going on.

Thanks

MBP mid-2015, High Sierra

EDIT: Should have done more digging at Mullvad. It says that the prompt will come up each time you invoke Mullvad and is needed to set up routes and firewall rules. OK, it seems to be from Mullvad and now I know what it is doing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just looked Mullvad over. Not sure I like that it's located in Sweden and charges $5.50/month. Also, I was not really impressed with what PC World wrote about it. Just my opinion Jake. Let us know how you like it after using it for several weeks and from different locations.

OP
M

MacInWin

Sweden didn't throw me off. Most VPNs are located in other countries. Mullvad had amazing speed, but didn't suit how I wanted to operate, so after testing it I got rid of it. The charge per month isn't bad, either.

Just curious, are you using a VPN and if so, which?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just curious, are you using a VPN and if so, which?

I use one when I'm out and about or at a meeting someplace that offers free WiFi. I'm currently using "TunnelBear". The free version limits how much you can use and so far seems to offer fast connections. I'm only using the iOS version since I do not own a portable Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.