MS Office - One Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
1700322156430.png

Background
Not long after moving to my Mac I installed OneDrive from the app store, as I had a number of documents saved there. Some months later I purchased a copy of MS Office which includes OneDrive, and received and error message similar to the one above. I did a search found the solution and all worked well.
Fast forward to my upgrade to Sonoma, and the error message is back, a search revels this:

1700322414016.png

So after following the instruction no change.

OneDrive removed via appcleaner, no change, OneDrive searched for in finder and all instances removed, including removal from start up, no change, in fact lots of ideas followed, and OneDrive in Office always gets the same response, in the end I have use the stand alone from the App Store. Why can Microsoft not get their act together for apps on the Mac. Advice willingly accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you sign out of the OneDrive (or both?) you were trying to uninstall?

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you sign out of the OneDrive (or both?) you were trying to uninstall?
Signed out, and everything, part of the issue is in applications there is only one OneDrive, and both application are in there. After much toing and froing this afternoon, the only way I have got OneDrive to work, is to uninstall all any everything OneDrive, search to ensure to is all gone, and only the app store version will work, everything else just causes errors.

Reaction score
Yes followed lots of search suggestions, but all this time wasting defeats the object of getting a Mac. Having listened to Mac users, I thought these were "run out of the box" with no issues if you don't play around with them, and use authorised software. At my age, I don't (and won't) spend ages trying to sort out issues, life is now too short, for annoying diversions.

Apple can't and doesn't control third party software developers. That would be an anti-trust violation. The problem you are experiencing isn't a "Macintosh problem," it is a Microsoft problem. If you find that Microsoft products are too difficult to deal with (and you wouldn't be alone), you should avoid all Microsoft products. Many of us do. There are alternative developers that offer equivalent (and often better) products for just about every Microsoft product.

Alternatives to OneDrive include:

iCloud https://www.icloud.com/
Nextcloud https://nextcloud.com/
Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/
Google Drive https://www.google.com/drive/
Syncthing https://syncthing.net/
MEGA https://mega.io/

That all said, the Macintosh is a personal computer. It isn't like a household appliance. It requires a certain level of skill to use and maintain. It may be easier to use than Windows, not to mention more secure and more reliable, but it is still a personal computer. If you are looking at doing all of your computing on a device that is dead easy to use, like an appliance, you may want to look at migrating everything that you do to an iPad. An iPad is designed to be more appliance-like.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple can't and doesn't control third party software developers. That would be an anti-trust violation. The problem you are experiencing isn't a "Macintosh problem," it is a Microsoft problem. If you find that Microsoft products are too difficult to deal with (and you wouldn't be alone), you should avoid all Microsoft products. Many of us do. There are alternative developers that offer equivalent (and often better) products for just about every Microsoft product.

Alternatives to OneDrive include:

iCloud iCloud
Nextcloud Nextcloud - Open source content collaboration platform
Dropbox Dropbox.com
Google Drive Personal Cloud Storage & File Sharing Platform - Google
Syncthing Syncthing
MEGA Home - MEGA

That all said, the Macintosh is a personal computer. It isn't like a household appliance. It requires a certain level of skill to use and maintain. It may be easier to use than Windows, not to mention more secure and more reliable, but it is still a personal computer. If you are looking at doing all of your computing on a device that is dead easy to use, like an appliance, you may want to look at migrating everything that you do to an iPad. An iPad is designed to be more appliance-like.
Randy, I have used, built and programmed computers for many years now, the last 30 year being MS. So I think you may have misunderstood me, it is not that I can't do it, in this case sort out one-drive, which is working, it is that I really do not want to have to. Basic maintenance back-ups cleaning out filing systems, things that I have caused, however programmes that do not function correctly, is just annoying and a waste of my time. I am a volunteer for a Veterans organisation, and as secretary, I need to share documents, and as most other users are MS users, then one-drive is the obvious choice, as they all have access.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As the issue is resolved, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.