Moving one file from computer to computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I have an iMac running Mac OS High Sierra, 10.13.6 and I want to move one file folder to my MacBook Pro. The file folder is 15 MB and contains 27 documents. My MacBook Pro is running Mac OS Catalina, 10.15.7. I want to move this file only and no other files, from desktop to desktop.

I first tried AirDrop and was unable to get it to work. Then I tried the utility Migration Assistant but I was also unable to get this to work. Later, I found out that Migration Assistant is designed to move multiple files or the whole contents from one machine to another. I do not want this (I'm only trying to move one file) so I don't think Migration Assistant is right for this particular job. How else can I move this one file from computer to computer? I'm kinda stuck.

Thanks for the help,
Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Bob - not sure why AirDrop failed? But a few starters: 1) Send an email to yourself with the folder attached and download it on the other computer; 2) Use an external HDD, SSD, or thumb/flash drive; and 3) Use a cloud service, e.g. put the folder in iCloud Drive on one computer and pick it up on the other. Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I used a thumb/flash drive. I dragged the file folder in question to the flash drive then ejected it properly.
I plugged the flash drive into my destination computer (My MacBook laptop), opened the drive and dragged the file in question onto my desktop. Very easy and quick. I don't know why I didn't think of this myself. Thank you.

I don't know why Air Drop failed but I've had problems with it before so I usually try to find another solution.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If both devices are signed into the same Apple ID using iCloud Drive is definitely the easiest way to move (share) files folders between devices, including iPhones and iPads but using a portable flash drive is a pretty foolproof, low tech solution. I used that method for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I find that Airdrop can be hit and miss at times. I can have my MBA, MBP and iPhone all awake, and if I choose Airdrop on the MBA, sometimes both the others show up, sometimes only one of them, sometimes neither.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.