Monitor recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I'm buying the M1 MacMini in April. I'm looking for monitor recommendations in the 27" to 32" range. I will be using the monitor for Lightroom and Photoshop if that helps. Also, with regards to monitor connection; USB-C, HDMI or Thunderbolt 3, is any one better or preferred over than the others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.
Mike

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This a common question that doesn't have an easy answer.

You first need to determine your budget. Next you need to determine what resolution you are targeting, i.e., 2K, 4K, 6K, 8K. As you go up in resolution, the price goes up exponentially.

Since you are starting at 27" for a screen size, I would not recommend a resolution lower than 2K.

If you haven't seen what these resolutions look like, go to your local electronics store and check them out to decide for yourself.

HDMi is safest connector (that is, every monitor will support it). There are monitors with other connectors as well, but they are more expensive.

The LG UltraFine series was developed by Apple and LG jointly, so that's a good monitor to start with. Depending on your budget, work up or down from there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What could be better & more compatible than the brand new just announced 27" Apple Studio Display for $1599.00??::)

- Nick

p.s. Of course mostly just kidding. $1599 a lot for a display!;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
This a common question that doesn't have an easy answer.

You first need to determine your budget. Next you need to determine what resolution you are targeting, i.e., 2K, 4K, 6K, 8K. As you go up in resolution, the price goes up exponentially.

Since you are starting at 27" for a screen size, I would not recommend a resolution lower than 2K.

If you haven't seen what these resolutions look like, go to your local electronics store and check them out to decide for yourself.

HDMi is safest connector (that is, every monitor will support it). There are monitors with other connectors as well, but they are more expensive.

The LG UltraFine series was developed by Apple and LG jointly, so that's a good monitor to start with. Depending on your budget, work up or down from there.
Thank you Ashwin; I wasn't aware that the LG UltraFine series was developed by Apple and LG jointly. With regards to connections, would an HDMI vs any other connection be more advantageous? What I mean is with regards to getting the most out of your monitor. I hope this makes sense.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
What could be better & more compatible than the brand new just announced 27" Apple Studio Display for $1599.00??::)

- Nick

p.s. Of course mostly just kidding. $1599 a lot for a display!;)
Thanks Nick, I'm hoping to better with price but it's always an option;)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Ashwin; I wasn't aware that the LG UltraFine series was developed by Apple and LG jointly. With regards to connections, would an HDMI vs any other connection be more advantageous? What I mean is with regards to getting the most out of your monitor. I hope this makes sense.
Looking at the tech specs of the Mac Mini indicates the following for the video connections..

• One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI
If the monitor has a USB-C connector, then it'll be natively DisplayPort or you can get an adapter to go TB->DP. Now if you are only going as far as 4K, the HDMI is fine. If you want to go higher, you have to use the TB ports.

I have a 2018 Mac Mini and have 2 27" 2K Viewsonic monitors. One of them is connected over HDMI and the other over TB->DP and both work just fine.

These monitors were around $330 bucks a couple of years ago (bought it just as the pandemic was starting for my home office setup). They might be cheaper now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Looking at the tech specs of the Mac Mini indicates the following for the video connections..

• One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI
If the monitor has a USB-C connector, then it'll be natively DisplayPort or you can get an adapter to go TB->DP. Now if you are only going as far as 4K, the HDMI is fine. If you want to go higher, you have to use the TB ports.

I have a 2018 Mac Mini and have 2 27" 2K Viewsonic monitors. One of them is connected over HDMI and the other over TB->DP and both work just fine.

These monitors were around $330 bucks a couple of years ago (bought it just as the pandemic was starting for my home office setup). They might be cheaper now.
If I'm understanding you correctly (I'm still learning :)), a 4K HDMI connection is, for lack of a better term "better" than a USB-C connection and a TB connection is best and most expensive I would imagine. Thanks for your patience. Mike

Reaction score
Here is an excellent article for getting up to speed on monitors:

It has detailed sections on:
• Resolution
• Size
• Connectivity
• Ergonomics
• Color accuracy and gamut
• Brightness and HDR: 250 nits or bust
• Panel type: IPS rules the office
• Refresh rate: Higher is better, but there’s a compromise
• Mini LED and OLED

Monitor recommendations....currently these are excellent deals:

AOC U2790VQ 27" 4K 3840x2160 UHD Frameless Monitor, IPS, 5ms
$270
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LBM2DCC/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4K UHD LED-Lit Monitor
$400
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YD3DBOC/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Both have HDMI 2.0 ports for easy connection to your Mac. You don't need to fuss with any other type of connection.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Thanks Randy, that was a good read and helped clarify things. Much appreciated. I've decided to go with the 27" screen size. I came across this via a link in the article and wanted to ask what you or anyone else thought about this monitor. Thanks

Dell U2723QE

EDIT: If this link doesn't work, it's the Dell U2723QE

Reaction score
I came across this via a link in the article and wanted to ask what you or anyone else thought about this monitor.

Dell U2723QE

Dell, in general, tends to make excellent monitors. However, I don't see how that particular monitor is worth the extra price over and above the price of the Samsung monitor that I recommended. If you need a USB-C hub, you can purchase one separately for much less than the difference in price.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I understand and appreciate it because saving money is always a good thing. :)💰

Thank you, Mike

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Samsung is a TN display which I would not recommend. IPS or nothing at all, especially for that price!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
The Samsung is a TN display which I would not recommend. IPS or nothing at all, especially for that price!
Understood, thank you Ashwin. My wife asked me earlier if I've come to a decision yet regarding a monitor, I said no, not yet. She laughed and walked away.
Regards
... Mike

Reaction score

I think that is too narrow a view (no pun intended). Not all TN displays have an unacceptably narrow viewing angle. And a computer display's viewing angle isn't as critical as the viewing angle of a television monitor. Users tend to sit close to their computer monitor and look straight at it, not far away and at an angle.

The advantages of a TN display, especially in this case, are that large black areas tend to be blacker, and that its response time is fantastic. Read the reviews. Users are extremely happy with this display.

You can have it all in a monitor, but you are going to end up paying to have it all. The thing is, if you make a minor tradeoff with repect to things that you won't even notice the difference, you can save hundreds of dollars.

For instance, my wife bought the AOC monitor without even consulting me. When I saw the price I was afraid that it would come with rocks inside instead of electronics. She said that she researched it carefully and that all the reviews were glowing. When the monitor came and she hooked it up, I was stunned at how beautiful it was...especially for the price!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I have the Samsung 32” UHD monitor, love it .have always used Samsung panels. I think I got it for just over 400(can)

haven’t seen the LG untrafine

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
I have the Samsung 32” UHD monitor, love it .have always used Samsung panels. I think I got it for just over 400(can)

haven’t seen the LG untrafine
Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini ,Mac Air Pro, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I always look for simple solutions. When I was looking for another monitor for my Mac Book Pro I just used a 32" TV that I had and it works like a charm.

Reaction score
I'm buying the M1 MacMini in April. I'm looking for monitor recommendations in the 27" to 32" range. I will be using the monitor for Lightroom and Photoshop if that helps. Also, with regards to monitor connection; USB-C, HDMI or Thunderbolt 3, is any one better or preferred over than the others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.
Mike
Look in Costco/online for Hisense 32" TV. I use it as a monitor for my 11" Mac Air.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please stop recommending TVs as monitors, that's just a bad idea all around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.