Monitor for new Macbook 16" M1 Max

Reaction score
I've ordered a new MacBook 16" M1 MAX to finally replace my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2014... It's been a hard-working little thing for many years but I think it's time to put it up for retirement.

So I also need to replace my ageing Thunderbolt display with something more of this decade.

Requirements:
• No smaller than 27" (no use in going backwards!)
• No more than £700

What would be the best one on the market that cover those requirements above?

It would be used for graphic/video Adobe CC suites.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Any monitor will fit your need and your budget is big enough.

There are just too many options out there, so you might want to do a little bit of research on your own and then come back to check to see if those are good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M
Reaction score
I don't know if it will help your choice or not, but certainly several pages all of their recommendations with more coming down the pipeline soon...

Maybe have a look here:

- Patrick
=======

Thanks, Pat. 🤣

I guess what I mean to say is, 'Anyone have any good experiences within this requirement bracket?'

Okay, I'll do some work and post up some options but if you can help me choose that would be appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Focus your search only on IPS panels. Next figure out if you want to stay at 27" or go higher. You'll want a minimum of 2K for resolution. If you haven't seen a 4K or higher resolution monitor is person, do so before going down that route.

If you need to perfect color for your graphic/video work, BenQ's professional line is a good line of monitors.

OP
M
Reaction score
If you haven't seen a 4K or higher resolution monitor in person, do so before going down that route.

What's the reason for this? Is it because in my line of work I may want to see the pixels in the screen?

Thanks for your input Ashwin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4K/5K resolutions on a 27" monitor will make everything tiny. On a 32" or larger monitor, it's better. I find that 2K is perfect for the 27" size.

Running a native 4K LCD at any other resolution is silly since you are paying for something you aren't going to use. I saw a 4K on 27" and knew it was not for me.

Additionally, macOS doesn't have a ton of control on font sizing and all that.

OP
M
Reaction score
4K/5K resolutions on a 27" monitor will make everything tiny. On a 32" or larger monitor, it's better. I find that 2K is perfect for the 27" size.

Ahhhh, of course!!! That's really useful to know thanks. As you can probably tell, I've been out of the display market for a loooong time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Good god, I think this might be the most difficult hardware decision I've ever made. There are so many variables and options to consider!!! My budget has also crept up.

I've focussed on IPS ultra-wide displays with USB-C and tried to get the PPI as close as possible to 110 so I don't need to worry about the OS scaling things.

I've narrowed it down to the below (this display is mainly for design and video creation):

DELL
U3421WE @ 109ppi - £860

LG
34GN850 @ 110ppi - £960 (is the extra expense worth it for what I'm using it for over the others?)
38WK95C-W @110.93ppi - £938
38GN950-B @ 111ppi - £864
34WN80C-B @ 110ppi - £560

Why are the last two so much cheaper? Is it just because they're older models or just a lot more inferior? Are they still good options?

So, which one would you go for?
Would you recommend a different one over these?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 35WN73A-B and 35WN73A-B are VA panels, not IPS. The other LG monitors are IPS, thus the higher price. TN is the cheapest, IPS is the most expensive, VA is supposed to be a compromise between the two with better darks and faster color switching and no blur.

Since the price is all around the same for the IPS LG monitors and the Dell one, I would recommend you create a quick spreadsheet and list out the ports/features of each and then you can compare them quickly on that front. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these manufacturers. LG is a the panel maker for many other manufacturers (Dell might be even using it), so that's an added bonus.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, the two cheap ones at the bottom are both VA panels.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm odd, I was looking on the LG website as well, perhaps fat fingered the search. Anyway, I'd say focus on IPS panels and if that panel is cheaper and has comparable features to the other more expensive ones, then that's a good deal.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just had someone on another forum say this:
I strongly suggest to reconsider. Font rendering is awful on macOS on 110 ppi monitors. I have one (not an ultrawide but that doesn’t matter) and it’s horrible. You should look into a 34” 5120x2160 ultrawide (LG 34WK95, MSI PS341WU at 164 ppi) which will give you the vastly better font rendering that the HiDPI modes provide out of the box. Scaling is much less of an issue than horrible-looking text.

Would this be true? I'm coming from an old Apple Thunderbolt display so not coming down from or used to a high-res retina display.

Agh! Another obstacle!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
So I think I'm going to go with the LG 34WK95U. I'm really sold on having an ultrawide as it will help with productivity and video editing/creation.

Does anyone have any experience with this on the new MacBook Pros? Any issues other than you can't control the volume or brightness via the keyboard? Is the text nice and sharp etc?

Does anyone have any others they want to throw in at the last minute?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.