Migrating files to new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 Mac Mini - Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 8GB ram - 1TB HDD, iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6s 64GB
Upgrading from a 2009 21-1/2” to a new 2021 24” iMac M1. Can I transfer only select profiles and documents using migration assistant? If I use time machine everything gets restored, correct? I’m want to keep the new machine as clean as possible, switching from a 2TB HHD to a 1 TB SSD. I also plan on getting a new external drive for Time machine backup as well as moving all photos to iCloud as well.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If I use time machine everything gets restored, correct?

No. If you use Migration Assistant (MA), you can select what you want to transfer from a Time Machine backup. This can include all your settings, email accounts and their contents, and all your passwords. More or less, as you wish.

This seems to me a better and possibly easier option than using MA to transfer data directly from one rather Mac to a brand new one.

What might help too, is to know which Operating System (OS) your 2009 iMac is currently running.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 Mac Mini - Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz - 8GB ram - 1TB HDD, iPad Air 32GB, iPhone 6s 64GB
The old one is running High Sierra

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The old one is running High Sierra

In that case, what I said about using MA to transfer data from your TM backup is still the better option my view.

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help, the usb A to usb C adapter will be arriving tomorrow so I can use the external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.