• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Michael Jackson has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 1.9ghz PPC 2gb Ram,250gb HD
^^^^^^obviously your not normal!!! Don't bash the guy when we're trying to mourn one of if not the biggest icon in music history...remember as you will, but to the true fans and dedicated musicians dat looked up to him and still do we can all say that his music spoke farther than any absurd accusations ever put on him...may he R.I.P and you will always be in our and future musicians hearts.!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Meh. The guy had not done much of anything positive in the past 20 years or more of his life, and has had several indiscretions with children. Sorry but, I fail to see how just because one has (had) idol status (O.J. did at one point in his life, too) it exempts them from displaying any kind of morality. I hate how this country embraces the absurd, and just turns a blind eye where a media icon is involved.

Thriller had like 7 top hit singles and it's been the number one selling album. No other album to date has that kind of status for the past 25 years.

Try to look at the positive aspect of his life. We all know he is on the weird side.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While I agree with your comments I don't think this is the time or place to say them.

Exactly. Now is not the time, and this thread is not the place.

T

todd51

^^ That's horrible man, I don't think making jokes about it is acceptable at all. Grow up dude.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ That's horrible man, I don't think making jokes about it is acceptable at all. Grow up dude.

And that's why it doesn't exist anymore and that member is now taking a little vacation.

As Gagnerants said before... there is a time and a place for that sort of thing. This is not the time, nor is it the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Did any of you see his brother speaking earlier? I saw it on E!...

It was quite touching. I feel so bad for his family.

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't think they should be banned for those comments. Why are celebrities given a "bye" on behavior that would not be tolerated in a "no body" next door neighbor. It is sad he died so young and his music will be missed but..................

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry but I don't think they should be banned for those comments. Why are celebrities given a "bye" on behavior that would not be tolerated in a "no body" next door neighbor. It is sad he died so young and his music will be missed but..................

Well, his comments would have been inappropriate in any topic, considering that we are a family friendly forum. And also do note that despite his public weirdness, Michael Jackson was never convicted in a court of law of any of the transgressions he was accused of. As far as I know, we still live in a country that believes in the concept of innocence until proven guilty.

Reaction score
Meh. The guy had not done much of anything positive in the past 20 years or more of his life, and has had several indiscretions with children. Sorry but, I fail to see how just because one has (had) idol status (O.J. did at one point in his life, too) it exempts them from displaying any kind of morality. I hate how this country embraces the absurd, and just turns a blind eye where a media icon is involved.

He is innocent until proven guilty. No jury has found him guilty. First child that got money. They kid openly in court said, "He didn't touch me" over and over though out the trial, but his parents kept pushing for it, until they got money. Michael was in Poor health during that time, had a pain killer addiction, and paid out because his health was more important to him. If it was my kids i would make sure I would get that guilty plea and not take the money. Money should never fix the emotional problems that my kids would have to go through. That was a mistake for him to do, because people will always see him as guilty because of that. The second time, He was acquitted of all charges, as you can tell his parents wanted a hand out as well.

T

todd51

Sure he was different, but could you imagine growing up with no normal childhood? He was pushed and pushed to be a singer since he was a little kid with the Jackson 5. I think that took a toll on him when he was older. I would hate to be worked to death at that age.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might be wrong, but I read that he had been emotionally abused by his father.... along with being pushed to sing for the Jackson five, that would be seriously difficult.

I could see how this could start a whole host of problems in the future.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I might be wrong, but I read that he had been emotionally abused by his father.... along with being pushed to sing for the Jackson five, that would be seriously difficult.

I could see how this could start a whole host of problems in the future.

I rather not speculate and start stuff that we don't know is true or not.

I just see him as a prodigy, and well most prodigies are weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
This is so weird, on the first day of my summer vacation every year a celebrity dies. This is the weirdest tradition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who died last year? I remember someone did but can't remember who..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
Who's Michael Jackson?

Reaction score
I'm not in a position to judge him on anything other than his music. He changed POP music forever. He's iconic in that regard. His music will live forever. I'm no fanboy but appreciate what he accomplished on the stage and in the studio.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
^^^^^^obviously your not normal!!! Don't bash the guy when we're trying to mourn one of if not the biggest icon in music history...remember as you will, but to the true fans and dedicated musicians dat looked up to him and still do we can all say that his music spoke farther than any absurd accusations ever put on him...may he R.I.P and you will always be in our and future musicians hearts.!

That's pretty rich right there. I'm the abnormal one ? (And I'm not calling YOU abnormal, I'm referring to M.J. I also don't appreciate you calling me abnormal. Obviously our priorities in life are different. ) I guess the "norm" is to just 'go with the grain', question absolutely nothing, and let everything be as it is simply because of a persons status as a musician or artist etc ? I never questioned the mans talent as a musician. I think it's safe to say that anyone whom has heard his older stuff can agree that there was a lot going on there. That wasn't my point though.

My point was more along the lines of how crazy it is to let ANYBODY slide because of how much money they can pay a lawyer or because of how much fame they've accumulated due to the high point(s) in their careers/lives. And while neither of us can actually prove or disprove any of the accusations which he put upon himself (yeah, so he 'slept' with children in an innocent way Okee dokee, no problem. It's still not something that ANYONE should be doing, no matter the capacity), I think it's also more than fair to say that those accusations were NOT absurd. His life was filled with so much negativity, that it fueled a lot of the crazy things that he's done.(dangle babies off of balconies much do you?) After all, he DID start off with much darker skin, and a much fuller nose. Lots of self loathing there, if you asked any reputable psychologist. But I digress.

Thriller had like 7 top hit singles and it's been the number one selling album. No other album to date has that kind of status for the past 25 years.

Try to look at the positive aspect of his life. We all know he is on the weird side.

Wow, really ? That many top singles ! ? I guess it's all good then! Sorry. Again. We all know and love some of his music. But this is hardly the point of anything I had originally said. Mind you, all it takes sometimes, in order for a pop star to have singles make it to top hit status at times, is simply the release of a new song. The media and sensationalism and fans will just eat everything up with a spoon and lick the plate clean, regardless of the quality of the music. And please don't dare say this isn't true.

While I agree with your comments I don't think this is the time or place to say them.

I actually agree with part of what you said. The place, I agree with.(but at this point, I simply need to reply to the comments about my initial comment, and then I'm done. I won't go into anymore in this thread out of respect for the mods/user's wishes) The time on the other hand I dont' agree with. Guess that's just because I'm not into the P.C. game. Should I wait a day ? A week ? Month ? What's the grace period on a thing like this ? Is it when all too many people have flooded the gates from the other side of the fence, thereby making it impossible to stop anymore, so it just has to become accepted ? (that would be my guess)

Exactly. Now is not the time, and this thread is not the place.

Again. I simply wanted to respond to the comments in regards to my first one. I think it's only fair I get a chance to defend my stance. I'll respectfully bow out of this thread now. Thank you.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Doug this is my personal thoughts but you should have never commented back with this sort of stance with a thread that is meant to basically say rest in peace. I'm pretty sure that everyone allowed your first comment to slide, however I doubt that it will this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.