Message's From Apple to Android Phone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
most of my friends have Apple phones however I do have a few with android phones.
Recently I tried to send a image to an android phone and it was rejected. I sent it on my iPhone., ipad and macbook ... all were rejected.
In settings I checked to make sure that MSM was on and it was.
Miscellaneous researching on this problem told me to check my MSM settings first then either reset the carrier settings are reset the network settings I wasn't quite sure how that would affect my day-to-day work so I didn't do that.

i did notice that when I tap on iMessage going to a android, at the top either it'll say their phone number or SMS. So I went to settings and I turn my SMS on to see if that would work the message was still rejected.

Can anybody help?

i used to be able to send messages back-and-forth to all my android users with ease.

Ever since the latest update all crazy things have been happening and I'm not very pleased with having to relearn how do use my phone my iPad and my MacBook! sure makes me wonder whether i have to update every time a new one is out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not sure what MSM settings your are referring to - are you referring to SMS or MMS settings?

My son has an Android phone and I have no problem receiving text or pictures on my iPhone Xs Max with iOS 14.01. My settings in Messages show iMessage toggle as on, also Send as SMS is on along with MMS Messaging and Group Messaging (which is not necessary to have on).

I get that updates mess stuff up - believe me! But in my case, it is usually a Windows computer at work! I have not had any issues with any of the recent updates - in fact the latest OS update fixed Messages on my MBP.

Resetting carrier settings will not hurt anything. I actually periodically reset the carrier settings and subscriber settings. My service provider is merging with another company so resetting periodically helps keep my phone sane. :rofl

Settings on your iPad are different. This article may help.

I know this can be frustrating. Post back if you figure anything out.

Lisa

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes... sorry for typo... am referring to setting for imssg...mms
i did turn on sms in settings and it still not go thru.

my imssg toggle is on. send as sms is on... as well as mms and group mssg. culd i turn those off?
dont mssg groups and if i do its with apple phones which are mms!

my service provider recently switched email to google email... tho don't know why that would affect me messaging. I can continue to message and attach pics with Apple but not android.

tried again with sms on... still wont go thru.

with regard to carrier settings... what actually happens? i'm not very techy and I don't want to make too many changes and have it have a negative affect on the things that are working for me!

maybe I'll have to talk to a techie person and see if they can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Don't forget, the issue may be on the receiver's phone and not yours.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes but i have tried 3 different people...same result... not all of them could have their settings wrong!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updating carrier settings is simply your carrier sending out updates they have made to their system. Their updates will make it easier for your phone to connect to their services. It can also fix issues.

Lisa

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I contacted my service provider and after we went through a few things, it was determined that I have to have my cellular data turned on in my settings. I realize you need that for SMS but I have sent SMS messages to my same friend for several months now including pictures etc. and never had a problem so I don't know why it changed.
I purposely had my cellular turned off as I didn't wanna run into any unexpected charges.
either way... all seems to be working now even on my iPad and my MacBook where I didn't change any cellular data indicators.
thank you all for helpful information!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bravo! I'm pleased for you, lori.

Ian

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so nice to solve problems? however minor they are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! Glad you got it fixed. Nothing I read said anything about having to have cellular data turned on. That is interesting and I wonder if that is a change your provider made??

Anyway so glad you got it fixed. It is frustrating when things don't work.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Wow! Glad you got it fixed. Nothing I read said anything about having to have cellular data turned on. That is interesting and I wonder if that is a change your provider made??

Anyway so glad you got it fixed. It is frustrating when things don't work.

Lisa
It makes sense. SMS is essentially a cellular messaging protocol, so your iPhone would need to be using a cell service, with data, to transmit the message and/or attached files. Apple's own Messaging can use either cellular service or WiFi, but the messages traverse the Apple network instead of cellular. Given that non-Apple phones don't connect to Apple's network, the SMS to them *has to* use the cell service data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.