Memory Upgrade for IMAC Mid 2007

Reaction score
I just bought a used IMAC mid 2007. I am new to mac computers so don't flame me if this is a stupid question. I have been working with windows computers going back to windows 3.1.

The first thing I decided to do was upgrade the memory from 2 gig to 4.

I bought 2 new memory sticks.

( 2GB PC2-5300/5400 DDR 2 667Mhz Non ECC LD)

Now when I boot up IO get 3 beeps and it will not start up.

I have double and triple checked that I installed the memory correctly.

I guess my question is did I buy the correct memory and am I doing something wrong?

Could the memory just be bad?

Thanks in Advance

SkyKing

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Macs can be a bit tempermental about the memory used. I've heard of some cases where PC memory that apppeared to be of the same spec did not work.

Do you have the original memory to put bck into the machine to see if it starts to boot correctly?

Most of our forum regulars suggest checking either Crucial or OWC MacSales

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Sly. Memory from OWC and Crucial is guaranteed to work. Are you sure the Dimms are fully seated? Since you installed them from the bottom and really can't see them, you push pretty hard till you feel them slide all the way in the slots.

I own that same iMac and have 2x 2GB dimms and it works great. With OWC ram you can put it up to 6GB which helps with the latest versions of MAC OS.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did indeed install the old memory and it works just fine. I will send it back. The comment about the OWC ram intrigues me. Do I just but 1 stick at 6Gb or 2 sticks at 3 Gb. I am used to windows where you have to buy install in pairs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for the info. I did indeed install the old memory and it works just fine. I will send it back. The comment about the OWC ram intrigues me. Do I just but 1 stick at 6Gb or 2 sticks at 3 Gb. I am used to windows where you have to buy install in pairs.

Here is a URL to your Machine on OWC. For 6GB it's a 2 and a 4. Their Ram works and if not they will make it right.

Memory Upgrades for Apple iMac 2007 - Up to 6GB

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Some Mac models have memory that must be installed in pairs as well but that doesn't appear to be the case for your machine. This OWC page shows several possible configurations and the current pricing. One configuration is for a single 4 GB chip so it doesn't look lie instllation in pairs is necessary.

BTW The OWC page I linked to in this post should be the correct memory according to their system. The page shows the model ID number for that Mac. There is also a link for directions to finding your iMac's model ID number. If the two numbers match the memory will work.

Edit: @ Dennis :appGreat minds think alike. I almost told him you were going to be by to cinfirm my suspicions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.