Mail unresponsive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Been living with this for many months, as if all screen icons are greyed out and 'click' is ignored . Until I turn off / on and its back to working. I have tried deleting redundant stuff in case it was a memory thing but seems not. Here's my system.

Image 08-05-2024 at 10.14.jpg

Any solutions anyone ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Can you give us more information? I don't even know what the issue is, other than Mail being unrepsonsive and something about icons.
as if all screen icons are greyed out and 'click' is ignored
Is it "as if" or are the icons actually greyed out? We can't see your machine, so you need to explain in detail what you are doing and what you see.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Thank you Jake and Bob. By 'icons' I mean the folder titles ie. the word ‘Inbox’ or the email body title. So no, they’re not actually icons as such nor are the words greyed out. But because when clicked on, nothing happens it’s ’as if’ they’re greyed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Typically, that indicates that Mail is not logged into the account(s). Check that Mail has the correct account data (servers, passwords, etc.) to log in, then restart Mail, and/or reboot the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
By 'icons' I mean the folder titles ie. the word ‘Inbox’ or the email body title. So no, they’re not actually icons as such nor are the words greyed out. But because when clicked on, nothing happens it’s ’as if’ they’re greyed out.

I'm sorry but I'm still completely confused as to what the actual problem is, and maybe you could provide a screenshot that would highlight the problem and maybe I and others could understand better or more clearly want the actual problem is... ?

I wouldn't think you would want to have the problem for another few months so hopefully someone has a solution for you.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
From the OP's description, there's nothing to see from a still shot; everything looks the way it should. The problem is that nothing occurs when a Mailbox is clicked.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you toMACsh. You get the problem. Sorry I didn't articulate well enough before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
there's nothing to see from a still shot; everything looks the way it should. The problem is that nothing occurs when a Mailbox is clicked.

I'm not trying to be a picky smart-ass here, but it doesn't seem that everything is looking the way it should or working the way it should.

I have no suggestions for a fix other than trying to Rebuild the Mailboxes if that is at all possible.

It may not hurt to try shutting down the Mac and waiting a bit and then boot up again from cold and maybe even try doing a safe boot that just might clear out any Goofs up Surplus files that might be causing the problem, and run a Disk Utility repair fix just in case. Hopefully one of those might help fix things.

- Patrick
=======

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick. They sound sensible solutions. I’ll have a go and report back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.