Mail frozen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Yesterday my wife's (Apple) Mail froze on her iPhone SE Series 1 (iOS 15.0.2). I trried quitting Mail and restarting it but that didn't work. So I tried deleting and reinstalling Mail. It offered all the usual options iCloud, gmail etc. for a new setup; I clicked on iCloud, entered her e-mail address and password and clicked on Next and she wasn't recognised. I tried forgotten password but, when I clicked on Next nothing happened. I finally resolved the problem by restoring her iPhone from a previous backup on her iMac (macOS 10.13.6) .

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you ran into a glitch which you resolved by restoring the phone.

Some advice: Since this is a first generation SE, you might want to leave it at whatever version of iOS that it works best at (if possible). iOS 15 uses more resources (battery and storage) than previous versions of iOS.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
We have already updated our iPhone SEs to iOS 15 but not my wife's iPad Mini 4. What would your advice be for it?

I had a problem with a frozen screen on my iPhone SE but, with some help from Apple Technical Support, rebooted it successfully and that removed the glitch. Would a restore from an earlier backup take it back to iOS 14?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you have a backup of iOS 14 on a computer then yes, it is possible to restore it to that backup but first you would need to completely erase the iPhone itself.

Depending on how you have backed it up you could have some issues though. For example is the backup encrypted? If not you will loose some data, most of your settings, health data, wifi passwords etc. Even if it is encrypted (make sure you know your encryption password) you will still loose some data and the phone will need to download much of the rest from iCloud sync, emails, contacts, reminders etc.

Personally, I wouldn't bother unless you have frequent real functional issues. If you can afford it, my advice would be to update to the SE 2. I have one and I love it, they are pretty reasonably priced now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.