Magsafe Adapter : Utterly poor quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
knew you'd say that.

How did you know that? That was what my post said. Power Adapters. One Jack on the one HP but that was easy to fix (for me).

PC adapters? Depends on the brand. Seen some over $80 if you get the factory adapter and not some cheep knock off.

And I am far from an Apple Fanboy. I own and use many systems here and most now are Windows 7,Vista,XP and even some Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Bla bla bla bla. That's really all I'm hearing. Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's not a problem with the magsafe adapter, but instead, one with the charging circuit of the MacBook Pro? You should stop thinking like a child, and bring it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it.

Computer parts are computer parts, and humans are humans. Things go wrong, nothing is ever going to be perfect. If you got a dud, Apple will make good on it and replace the faulty part, especially if it is a manufacturing defect.

We can sit here all day saying things like: "I've had such and such for x amout of years, and nothing ever went wrong" It's called statistics. Also, nothing is wrong with Lion, at all. I generally do clean installs because installing a new OS over an old one, especially one with tons of user related "issues", will tend to result in buggy behavior. I've NEVER had an issue with Lion in any way, shape or form. I've also got 2 MacBook Pros, one 4 years old and the other 3, both have flawless performing MagSafe adapters.

On the other hand, I had to have my logicboard replaced on the older one, because of just the issue I alluded to. A bad charging circuit. It was replaced when I was living in Hungary, at a third party, authorized Apple "shop" under my Apple Care.

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey Doug,

Are you blind? Don't you see I had mentioned in my first post "My first Magsafe adapter stopped working a month ago. It would not charge. I took my Mac to Apple Service center and they told me change the Magsafe adapter". I had to buy a new adapter. For the 2nd one the vendor said if the adapter is more than 2 weeks old then they cannot replace. You are also ill-informed. Apple never said that you cannot install Lion on top of Leopard. Lastly no one is behaving like a child. This forum is not for children get back to your senses. I am paying for the hardware not you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Um, lets keep it civil people.

If you search here at Mac Forums you will find 1000's of posts saying Lion works better with a clean install. Seen it all over the internet also. So Doug is not just talking. Did it here with 3 systems and noticed the difference.

And I really do not care what APPLE says or does not say. Lion in 90% of the cases I have personally seen works faster and smoother when you do a totally CLEAN install. That is a fact. I don't bow down to what Apple, Microsoft, ETC say but go by what I know to be a proven fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hey Doug,

Are you blind? Don't you see I had mentioned in my first post "My first Magsafe adapter stopped working a month ago. It would not charge. I took my Mac to Apple Service center and they told me change the Magsafe adapter". I had to buy a new adapter. For the 2nd one the vendor said if the adapter is more than 2 weeks old then they cannot replace. You are also ill-informed. Apple never said that you cannot install Lion on top of Leopard. Lastly no one is behaving like a child. This forum is not for children get back to your senses. I am paying for the hardware not you.

You still don't seem to get it. I read and comprehended what YOU said just fine. This is troubleshooting 101. If your first magsafe adapter stopped working a month ago, and then the second also stopped working, don't you think that there could be something more to it? If you don't think so, then oh well.

Secondly, what I said about installing Lion has NOTHING to do with being ill-informed. You are posting in anger and haste without reading/comprehending anything that I've said. I said that "I" always do clean installs because of the fact that installing over prior ones isn't always the best way to do it. I said NOTHING about Apple's stance on upgrades.

And you're not being a child? Really? You initially posted in this very same manner, talking about posting your experience to Youtube, and just giving the MacBook back without repense yada yada. That is a childish thing to say. No one would just give up such a thing in such a fashion. And if you do, then you either have money to burn, or just like throwing tantrums and posting about them in forums. Lastly, if you're paying for hardware, and not for "me", then why bother posting here? What were you hoping to accomplish by ranting like this in a PUBLIC forum?

Good job champ. By the way, if you simply want to get rid of your MBP, feel free to send it my way, I'll pay for shipping. :*

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Doug,

I do not want your kiddish responses. You are not helping me anyway. I have read your responses , your responses does not help me anyway.

You are trying to divert the discussion from a technical one to a personal one. The web is full of people like who hijack serious issues and try and make it look trivial, make it a personal issue to cut short the real discussion.

I would not expect such responses from a Microsoft Technical Forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doug,

I do not want your kiddish responses. Get off the thread. You are not helping me anyway. You are talking like an Apple salesman.

Lol. Funny, because if you actually READ anything I said with a bit of understanding, you'd see that I'm actually helping you. But you're one of those stubborn people that can't accept any other truth than his own.

That said, I get the feeling that you don't want my help anymore... Yeah, I'm intuitive like that.

How old are you anyway? I'm guessing (and hoping) you're still a teen... If not, then, oof. You've got a lot to learn.

Don't bother responding, I won't be back here... because your wish is my command!

OP
B
Reaction score
It feels bad to write anything against Mac. I have encouraged my colleagues/friends to switch to Mac.
Some of them switched to Mac. This is exactly why i feel a bit sour when my Mac does not get charged and i am having to run from pillar to post just to find a solution.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It feels bad to write anything against Mac. I have encouraged my colleagues/friends to switch to Mac.
Some of them switched to Mac. This is exactly why i feel a bit sour when my Mac does not get charged and i am having to run from pillar to post just to find a solution.

Not to stir the pot, but Doug might be correct and it be something in the power board Inside the MBP. The only other time I have seen your issue is if the pins on the Magsafe were shorted and it blew out the IC chip inside that Magsafe plug. When that happens it will not charge even though there is full DC voltage present.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Doug,

I do not want your kiddish responses. You are not helping me anyway. I have read your responses , your responses does not help me anyway.

I realize that English is not your native language, however, you have been rude to Doug on multiple occasions and he has made several well-reasoned and helpful posts.

The first rule of our Community Guidelines is quite clear in any language - be polite and respectful. Perhaps that doesn't translate into Chinese, so let me make this very simple. This will stop now, or you will stop being a member here.

You are trying to divert the discussion from a technical one to a personal one. The web is full of people like who hijack serious issues and try and make it look trivial, make it a personal issue to cut short the real discussion.

No, I don't think he is. In fact, you're accusing him of the exact behavior you're exhibiting.

The fact is, you came here asking for advice, but you have a preconceived notion that all MagSafe adapters are poorly made. It's been explained repeatedly that this is not the case. Doug even went so far as to encourage you to look at the MacBook itself because there are times that the charging circuit can be at fault - at which point you got combative for some reason.

I would not expect such responses from a Microsoft Technical Forum.

And I would expect that someone who is getting free technical assistance to be more gracious and appreciative.

But given what I've seen so far, I'm starting to think you're nothing more than a petty troll.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Wow...I'm already on my third MagSafe on my MacBook; my wife is on her second on her MacBookPro, which she hasn't even had a year. :/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sometimes wonder what people do to their power adapters so they die so frequently.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sometimes wonder what people do to their power adapters so they die so frequently.

Some of the variants seem to have thinner/not as robust shielding on the cables. I think that comes into play. Also, they seem to be very attractive to household pets - I've seen a lot of instances of dogs and cats chewing on them - but the owner just keeps on using them.

Then of course, if you wind it really tight, you can kink the cables and that can lead to premature failure as well.

In short, it doesn't seem like Apple does a good job of "people proofing" the MagSafe adapters, so you have to treat them with care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize that English is not your native language, however, you have been rude to Doug on multiple occasions and he has made several well-reasoned and helpful posts.

The first rule of our Community Guidelines is quite clear in any language - be polite and respectful. Perhaps that doesn't translate into Chinese, so let me make this very simple. This will stop now, or you will stop being a member here.

No, I don't think he is. In fact, you're accusing him of the exact behavior you're exhibiting.

The fact is, you came here asking for advice, but you have a preconceived notion that all MagSafe adapters are poorly made. It's been explained repeatedly that this is not the case. Doug even went so far as to encourage you to look at the MacBook itself because there are times that the charging circuit can be at fault - at which point you got combative for some reason.

And I would expect that someone who is getting free technical assistance to be more gracious and appreciative.

But given what I've seen so far, I'm starting to think you're nothing more than a petty troll.

To be perfectly fair, (this is not a reply to the OP) I kind of lashed out with the whole "bla bla bla" thing, which is undoubtedly something I'd say to egg someone on. I could have taken the high road and just addressed the issue, but I didn't like the way he/she started things off by whining, blaming and saying things like "I'm going to post a vid to youtube of me giving my MBP back" etc.. It IS childish to state such things, but I could have left the bait alone, period.

Guess I'm still not "there" yet. You'd think that age would do the trick... Anyway, sorry.

Doug

OP
B
Reaction score
Magsafe adapter is like achilles heel

Wow...I'm already on my third MagSafe on my MacBook; my wife is on her second on her MacBookPro, which she hasn't even had a year. :/
. I can understand the inconvenience that you have gone through.

Frankly speaking, this is my last Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Frankly speaking, this is my last Mac.

Ok. Then I think we're done here, or at least I'd imagine. No point in following this rathole anymore. Good luck!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Then I think we're done here, or at least I'd imagine. No point in following this rathole anymore. Good luck!

Indeed, we are (or at least I am). Best wishes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
lion is 100% better than vista .... maybe 200% better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would so lock this thread if I had the ability... Guess that's why I don't. lolO:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Doug and since I can lock it, I did! Too much Mac bashing toward the end. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.