Magic Mouse

OP
H
Reaction score
Well, congratulations! :) I have no idea 'why' this trick should work except making the battery compartment imperceptibly smaller for better battery contact, but make sure you keep that other mouse around? Dave

Thanks Dave, will do... and Dennis; yes I spun the batteries before like crazy many times. Don't know what the science behind it was but all is OK now.

Am sure to come across other weird stuff as I 'acclimatize' to the Mac but it's good to know you knowledgable guys are out there... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Mobos in the oven, mice in the freezer--what's next, monitors in the dishwasher? ;P

[I did not include iPhones in the microwave because it was a fake rumor. Probably started by some iPhone/Apple hater]

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hey cool trick. Did you ever try spinning them before? I should have suggested that.

Glad it's working!

Cool trick? Blooming freezing!

Reaction score
Had same problem and found that some batteries are a tad shorter,so the top of the battery does not make proper contact.Just put a folded bit of kitchen aluminium foil in there and it should make contact-if it is the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Cool trick? Blooming freezing!

Just curious if the Magic Mouse would operate better used by an Eskimo in an igloo? ;) Dave

Screen Shot 2014-11-28 at 12.42.09 PM.png

Reaction score
Could be you are suffering same problem as i did with my wireless keyboard, ie, it has unintentionally been paired up with some other Bluetooth machine, in my case my other mac across the room. So as far as the mouse is concerned it is working with the other machine and won't let you re-pair with your chosen machine. It took a long time for me to work that out. I had to completely switch the other machine off so the keyboard was only then free to pair back to your intended machine. Why not check what else is open bluetoothwise in your household. Could even be in another room if the walls are thin

Reaction score
My mouse is 4 ½ years old and his vitals are good. Except...it gets tired often, maybe a dozen or more times an a three hour session. It loses its wireless connection. I beat it amongst the ears, slap it around a bit, maybe a clunk on the desk, not really assault and battery, and it will connect again.

I don't think it is a battery problem specifically, but maybe a cataract or some other inclusion it its eyeball.

Annoying but not mortal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Well, the mouse is fairly new, it worked okay until batteries changed, you have the light on when the switch is on so that indicates if the mouse is ok, the batteries are in correctly and the contacts are being made and so it is ready to be paired. The only other thing I can suggest is to open bluetoothand select "setup bluetooth device" while at the same time turning the mouse switch first off then immediately on. The light should blink indicating it is looking to pair and it should come up in the list. If not, either you have:

1. Bad mouse...try pairing on another Mac and if not, toss it.
2. Bad bluetooth...do you have any other bluetooth devices connected? If not, try to pair with something else...say your cell phone and/or another device to be sure. If nothing will pair, bad bluetooth...replace.

Having a wired mouse in reserve not a bad thing to have anyway. I have bluetooth trackpad, keyboard and magic mouse all going at the same time. Rebooting after a time a way is always a little tough to get thing that were paired to pair again. Also, there are some situations that require wired components.

Hope this helps

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a note I have ran into the issue maymaymay posted above many times. Forgot to unpair from other Mac that was on nearby! Something to remember just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD startup, 1TB HDD alt startup, 6 & 4TB BU
Just a note I have ran into the issue maymaymay posted above many times. Forgot to unpair from other Mac that was on nearby! Something to remember just in case.

Ah, Yes!

Reaction score
If the green light is not lit, one explanation might be that the 'new' batteries you put in aren't any good. Worth checking before you dump the mouse.;)

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Magic Mouse for some three or more years and find it VG. The only problem I had was about a year ago when I tried some cheap re-chargeable batteries and their associated charger. For some reason the MM didn’t like this at all and refused to work. Eventually, after I’d put Duracells back, it worked again. I can only suppose the difference in voltage caused it to fail. However, I’ve just bought the Apple charger, which comes with six silver batteries, and there have been no problems since.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
That little green light underneath is not necessary for life. Mine somehow went dead, but the mouse continued to operate.

Reaction score
These days I have found the perfect replacement for the Magic Mouse which I consider to be poorly engineered and a battery hog. The Logitech T631 mouse. Each mouse can connect to 2 separate computers with the flick of a switch. I just purchased a new MacBook pro and separately another T631. I am a happy camper. In my 25 years as a PC / Win person I have always used Logitech. I am happy to see them coming out with a decent Mac mouse that is smaller, rechargeable, fits in a shirt pocket with room to spare. I think I will try out their track pad next. Did I mention that it is also $15.00 cheaper than the MM.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ernestholsen, that looks interesting! Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
I have revived every supposedly dead Magic Mouse I have encountered by cleaning the terminals with alcohol on a cotton swab stick. It always works. If the battery connection is weak or intermittent, the green LED indicator can still go on but the mouse will not be recognized by the computer.

Another thing: you can always force the Mac to look for the Mouse by going into System Preferences ==> Mouse ==> Set up Bluetooth Mouse.

Reaction score
One extra thing I have noticed sometimes (depending on the battery) is the DISTANCE from the MM to the iMac. Reducing the distance sometimes makes a dead mouse resurrect itself.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have never had a magic mouse, never liking them much not to mention the price which is in my mind a bit over the top for what you get especially if it only lasts two years. However doesn't the battery compartment have a diagrammatic showing which way the batteries go in?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can not remember the exact date the Magic Mouse came out but I got one the first week and another a couple months later. Never had issues with either of them all this time. Only issues were it being already paired to another device that was on, and batteries that were dead. They both work like Brand new.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, my MM works fine. Rod, I don't know where you get the idea they last just two years, but mine's been in service well beyond that. When the battery warning pops up, I put in the recharged set and put the dead set in the recharger. Reconnects every time to my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.