Magic Mouse 2 alternatives for a MacBookPro?

Reaction score
Hi.

I have recently bought a MacBookPro 13 inch (2018).

My old Magic Mouse (used with the 20102 MacBookPro) doesn't want to work with it and the reviews of the Magic Mouse 2 look awful.
The number of times I've run out of battery power whilst using the old version is countless, so I can ill afford to be messing with ceasing work and waiting around whilst the mouse recharges. I would rather replace the 2x AA batteries and carry on into the wee small hours.

Nor do I want to spend £79 x2.

What to do?

Can I use a Magic Mouse that's not one of these bottom-recharging rechargeable items and still via the Bluetooth connection?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use any mouse you want as long as it will connect via BT and pair correctly. You don't have to use the Magic Mouse. I have one that came with my new iMac but it's still in the shipping box. I continue to use my USB wired mouse which I prefer. You may not have that choice though if your connections are only USB-c.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have a look at the various wireless Logitech mice for Macs and even their worst longevity battery operated mouse lasts for 12 months. Some of the other models last for almost three years!!!

I use their USB M705 model that can be purchased for around $30.00— on sale.

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, as you rightly say the new USB C ports and there are only two of them, might not support all mice

Why is it that my new MacBPis not seeing the old mark one Mac mouse ? My other MacBook Pro sees it without issue

If the new MacBook Pro supports all mice that allow Bluetooth transmission, does anyone have a recommendation please ?

Thanks

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks Patrick, I think our posts crossed in the ether, I will follow your advice and have a look at not just that specific mouse but also ones that support Bluetooth on the Mac

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why is it that my new MacBPis not seeing the old mark one Mac mouse ?

I don't know Fatamorgana and I was wondering why not myself, assuming everything is setup and enabled properly.

Personally I almost abhor nearly all Apple mice as we just don't get along well together. Big understatement!!!

All Logitech mice I have ever used work much better for me thanks, but I avoided any BT mice due to their usual lag, but maybe later models have improved. The same goes for the Microsoft BT mice. USB models were fine.

But I'll confess that my brain never got trained to use any "gesture mouse" properly!!!

PS: The same goes for my matching older friends and their mouse usage as well.

PPS: If you insist on using your old Magic Mouse, then maybe try here, if you haven't done so already:
If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad isn‘t working as expected
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204621

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The old Magic Mouse works fine with all Macbooks. I used mine for a while and then switched to the Magic Mouse 2. With pretty consistent usage I get many weeks of usage until I have to charge the Magic Mouse 2 and I do that overnight when necessary.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I get many weeks of usage until I have to charge the Magic Mouse 2 and I do that overnight when necessary.
I have to agree. And the Mac gives me ample warning when either the mouse or trackpad need charging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi.

I have recently bought a MacBookPro 13 inch (2018).

My old Magic Mouse (used with the 20102 MacBookPro) doesn't want to work with it and the reviews of the Magic Mouse 2 look awful.
The number of times I've run out of battery power whilst using the old version is countless, so I can ill afford to be messing with ceasing work and waiting around whilst the mouse recharges. I would rather replace the 2x AA batteries and carry on into the wee small hours.

Nor do I want to spend £79 x2.

What to do?

Can I use a Magic Mouse that's not one of these bottom-recharging rechargeable items and still via the Bluetooth connection?

Thanks
The problem, you may be experiencing, is that since the Magic Mouse is already paired to your 2012 MBP, it will not be seen when you attempt to pair it to the new MBP. Did you delete it from your 2012 MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Apple typically seems to indicate it's just so easy, right!!!:

How to set up your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, and trackpad
Earlier models of Apple Wireless Mouse or Apple Magic Trackpad will connect, or show a dialog. If you see a dialog, click Pair or press return.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201178

But at a more realistic level, see:
How can I set a Magic Trackpad (or, any other bluetooth device, I guess) into discovery mode, if it has already been paired to another mac?
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...d-bluetooth-devices-again-into-discovery-mode

PS: Does it show in the System Information list???

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
I was ideally looking for a mouse that would not need to take up a USB-C port with a dongle.

There are only 2x USB-C input / output ports, and one is being used by the power cord, the other too is being used.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was ideally looking for a mouse that would not need to take up a USB-C port with a dongle.

There are only 2x USB-C input / output ports, and one is being used by the power cord, the other too is being used.

The only way you're going to get around that is to buy a USB-c hub or the Apple USB-c adapter connector with a pass-thru. The hub would be better. Check on Amazon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I guess Apple is expecting that you would be using their trackpad with that MacBookPro 13 inch rather than a mouse and as the ports for wired use are pretty scarce, that usually means using a wireless device, and IMHO both Logitech and Microsoft make some nice reasonably priced ones, especially when on sale.

I have no idea why your old Magic Mouse won't pair and work but I've never likes working with any Apple mouse so it wouldn't bother me if it didn't work properly.

- Patrick
======

OP
F
Reaction score
The Apple mouse of course works without a dongle, so are we saying that nobody makes a mouse that can work without a dongle - apart from Mac

I have a version one of the Mac mouse for my other Mac and it's fantastic, but surely to goodness somebody else makes a mouse that works with a Mac without a dongle other than Mac themselves?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a version one of the Mac mouse for my other Mac and it's fantastic, but surely to goodness somebody else makes a mouse that works with a Mac without a dongle other than Mac themselves?

Lots of wireless mice are available in all sorts of flavors; cheap ones, expensive ones, etc. Do some shopping around on the net. Amazon, eBay, and many other places. And they all work with a Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
Do you have any links as they all seem to require dongles, Plug and Play devices, which as previously stated, doesn't suit?
Many thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The Apple mouse of course works without a dongle, so are we saying that nobody makes a mouse that can work without a dongle - apart from Mac

You need to look for Bluetooth mice. I had a nice Logitech portable bluetooth mouse until I found an inexpensive magic mouse. Your Magic Mouse will work with your MBP. It will always try to connect to the device it was last paired with first, so you will need to unpair it from the old device first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but surely to goodness somebody else makes a mouse that works with a Mac without a dongle other than Mac themselves?

I think Fatamorgana, that you are only looking at the wireless USB mouse that use a USB dongle, but there are lots of wireless mouses that use the Mac's builtin Bluetooth and no dongles are needed. Just the same principle as Apple's wireless mouse.

Opps, I forgot to notice there was a page 2, so here's a source of links to check:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=9V21WsOgI-Le8Af4wJ-YCQ
and
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=r161WvP_MNTM8gfmgLmAAg

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.