Made a mistake in buying a PowerMac G4?

OP
M
Reaction score
Ireland - West Cork - it's a big beautiful place:-
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
I know Chas - it was really stupid on my part not to check it out first and I've already been checking out the refurbished section in Apples store. Unfortunately being based in ireland there arnt as many offers as in America for instance. However I'm going to find out (somehow��) if they ship to Ireland. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 8GB OS X 10.7.5,iPad 1 - 64gb WIFI, iPhone 4, MacBook Pro OS X10.8.
Just found a few in the Irish store that I didn't find yesterday, but they're all quad core intel core i5. Obviously the next level up from 2 duo core.....
Typing this on my phone not as practical - so have the wording incorrect - sorry.
So if that's still there next month and money arrives as expected then I'm sorted!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
the intel quad core i5, it'll literally be like when hans solo hit the hyperpsace lever and the stars streaked compared to the 12 yr old G4.

I needed a small server for the office and after blowing too much much money on machines and software for people I hired, I went to the apple store and got a yesterday's model mac mini for 499 (CAN) it was brilliant, came with an extra gig of ram (thx apple) and is has run 24/7 now for a few years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just found a few in the Irish store that I didn't find yesterday, but they're all quad core intel core i5. Obviously the next level up from 2 duo core.....

Keep looking! The Apple Store in Ireland I'm guessing probably works the same way as the Apple U.S. Store...and that is...the inventory in the refurbished section can change daily (or even hourly).

So when checking the refurbished section, and you see something you want...you have to be ready to "pull the trigger" on it (especially if it's something that's not seen often, is a high demand sort of thing, and/or if it's a really good price).

Be patient...and when you see something you like & is in your budget...click the "Buy" button!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish the Irish store was more like the USA store - there's a lot less activity going one here versus USA, population difference and all that;-)

If my credit card allows for temporary funds to press the buy button then I most certainly will!
Just have to be patient. ;)

On another note, anyone know if and when the last software update wil occur for the iPad 1st Gen?

C

chas_m

Ironically, the MacBook Pro (or at least some of them) are actually MADE in Ireland!

Apple Ireland plant receives visit from prime minister | MacNN

As for the iPad, nobody knows when it will no longer be supported by the latest software. It could happen as early as iOS 6, but of course nobody knows when THAT'S coming out either. The good news is that you can reasonably expect new apps that aren't too graphically intense (ie most of them) to continue to support the first iPad for years to come. I can still find (albeit in decreasing numbers) apps that support my original iPhone from 2007.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ironically, the MacBook Pro (or at least some of them) are actually MADE in Ireland!

Apple Ireland plant receives visit from prime minister | MacNN

As for the iPad, nobody knows when it will no longer be supported by the latest software. It could happen as early as iOS 6, but of course nobody knows when THAT'S coming out either. The good news is that you can reasonably expect new apps that aren't too graphically intense (ie most of them) to continue to support the first iPad for years to come. I can still find (albeit in decreasing numbers) apps that support my original iPhone from 2007.

That's some good news today;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
When it comes to Older Macs, I will say (Like others have said) to always do your research on the machine before you buy it-- That way you don't wind up in a situation like you are in now.
There's nothing wrong with G4s, or any older computer, just as long as you know it's limits... I use my 1.25 G4 MDD (2003) for Video, Graphic and Audio editing, but it is a more powerful machine than the 400mhz G4 you have...

As long as you are aware of the machine's limits (no ipad compatibility, 10.4.11 the last OS supported, etc.) you should be fine.

I personally wouldn't Get rid of the G4, you might be able to put it to some good use... Maybe as a server?
1 security and compatability with my iPad and iPhone
2 photo editing and work related
3 ease of use
4 speed
5 fun
You have 2*,3,and 5 going for you; and 4 if you install the right OS.
(*If you install the correct software that is compatible)

Of course I'm Not quite sure what Use it will be to you; Don't expect it to function or be compatible with the latest and greatest. Even G5s are starting to become obsolete

[Obsolete Tends to be seen as a derogitory term; Though I Don't use it in that sense. An "Obsolete" Machine can still Be very helpful! I use a powermac 6100 running OS9 For internet Radio... Sure the machine is "Obsolete", but it does what I need it to do...]

If you DO want compatibility with the latest things; Intel is the only way to go.

Again, Remember the machine's Limits.
Just a word of advice. err... many words of advice... (you know what I mean)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you @OlderMacUser - good advice there:Blushing:

As I type the G4 is being upgraded with OS 10.5 which I'm told should work as long as it doesn't slow it down too much. I was told I can continue to try it out before I decide. However I've decided to use this machine for the kids and using iTunes etc, and I'm going to invest in something (much) better for myself:Mischievous:

Anyone have experience with a Mini Mac?

I don't think I need an iMac (and only found out today that the computer is built into the screen):Blushing::Blushing:!!!!!!

As long as it wil recognise modern devices, has USB ports I'm happy. It doesn't need a cd drive as I can use the kids Mac or can always plug in an external one surely....

Any thoughts appreciated (very much:Blushing:)

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have experience with a Mini Mac?

Of course there are folks who have experience with a Mac-Mini...what is it you want to know?

I don't think I need an iMac (and only found out today that the computer is built into the screen):Blushing::Blushing:!!!!!!

Maybe the screen is built into the computer!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use a 2009 Intel Mac Mini as my desktop machine. Hooked to 27in Viewsonic Monitor and use Wireless Keyboard and Magic TrackPad for input.

4GB RAM
320GB HD

Works great running Aperture and Adobe PSE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have a Mini attached to my TV, running 24/7 as a media server.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course there are folks who have experience with a Mac-Mini...what is it you want to know?

Maybe the screen is built into the computer!;)

- Nick

Ah don't make me feel any worse than I do

@Razormac - what's the advantage of a Magic track pad??:Confused::Confused:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah don't make me feel any worse than I do

Not trying to.;) As far as the Mac-mini question...it would just be clearer if you specifically posted your concerns/question about it. hard to know what's important to you in a computer.;)

@Razormac - what's the advantage of a Magic track pad??:Confused::Confused:

I have the magic trackpad as well. It's simply an alternative to the "Magic Mouse". If you like using a trackpad as an input device (like on a laptop)...then get a Magic Trackpad. If you prefer a mouse...get the Magic Mouse.:0

With the Magic Trackpad...it does support more of the "gestures" than the Magic Mouse (in case you like using a lot of the gestures).

http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/os-x/lion-gestures-trackpad-vs-magic-mouse/

- Nick

C

chas_m

Some people (I call them the "grippers") find the Magic Trackpad a smoother and more relaxing alternative to the Magic Mouse, since you can't hold it in a death grip all day. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I like the TrackPad because I am not constantly fighting desk real estate to move the mouse around. All I have to deal with is the 5x5 inch square the TrackPad sets in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
As far as the mouse vs. Trackpad thing goes- here's my input- I've always disliked trackpads... I Find them extremely hard to use and just... well, annoying. But that's all opinion related.

I like the TrackPad because I am not constantly fighting desk real estate to move the mouse around. All I have to deal with is the 5x5 inch square the TrackPad sets in.
I agree, Fighting for mouse space is very annoying, But Personally; I'd prefer a Stationary Trackball over a Trackpad. But again, It's Opinion.

Of course, everything I've stated above really has no content to the original question conversation...

But still, In the current day and age, If you're using a new mac, I think It makes much more sense to use a trackpad; simply because OSX is starting to become more and more like the iOS with the gestures and all; so That would be beneficial as time goes on.
Unless apple throws us a curveball and stops that... yet I don't see that happening anytime soon.

To make a long story short for you msid, The Magic trackpad is basically the same thing as the magic mouse... without the mouse part... which allows more gestures.
(Isn't it strange how I'm responding even though I wasn't originally asked about it?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.