Macs can't see Windows10 PC, and ViceVersa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I have two Macs on my network and I can share files back and forth without any hassle. I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and it "sees" everything on my home network from my wifi printer (prints just fine) to my Western Digital MyCloud NAS drives to my TVs and even Amazon Firesticks! But for some strange reason I can't see the Macs. I have file sharing allowed, but perhaps I'm just not network savvy enough to get this working.

Currently I have a physical PC running Windows 10, but eventually, I want to run Windows 10 on a separate partition on one of the Macs. But for the time being, I'd like to get the PC and Macs hooked up so I don't have to walk back and forth with a USB stick every time I want to bring a graphics file over to the Mac from the PC or vice versa.

Definitely need a helping hand here LOL, I'm a retired designer... and I try to keep active in graphics design work here in my senior community, do a lot of pro bono work if you know what I mean LOL. Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have two Macs on my network and I can share files back and forth without any hassle. I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and it "sees" everything on my home network from my wifi printer (prints just fine) to my Western Digital MyCloud NAS drives to my TVs and even Amazon Firesticks! But for some strange reason I can't see the Macs. I have file sharing allowed, but perhaps I'm just not network savvy enough to get this working.

Since a recent upgrade to Windows 10 was mentioned...was this Windows PC able to "see" your Mac's before the Windows 10 upgrade?

- Nick

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
No, it wasn't Nick. But I might have some minor success going. I kept plugging at it over the weekend and I found that by putting a shared folder (or directory) on the root (C:) drive of the PC allowed me to "see" that folder, so I created a few sub-folders to be repositories for various files like PDFs, JPGs, CDRs, VSDs, and CAD. I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but its working.

I've been using a Mac for so long now, I've forgotten many of the nuances of PCs LOL. For the time being it seems OK, and the only thing I want to do right now is figure out how to configure the PC so that its on my home network, but not connected to the internet. Might want to do that with my old Mac as well. I'm only using them as "tools" have no need for net access, just connectivity to each other. Will keep my email stuff on just one device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.