macOS Big Sur is now available

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've done upgrade installs ever since 10.7.5. (I'm currently running Catalina) Yes, that's a lot of upgrade installs and truthfully, it carries with it a lot of scruff. But the scruff is easy to get rid of if you know what you're doing.

A clean install requires quite a bit of extra work that can lead to other troubles... such as reinstalling applications, data, preferences, etc.

You probably will say, "just use the backup you made to recover everything". But then, what's the difference between doing it that way and an upgrade install?

Whenever I get around to installing BS (11.0.1 or 11.0.2) it will be an upgrade install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I've done upgrade installs ever since 10.7.5. (I'm currently running Catalina) Yes, that's a lot of upgrade installs and truthfully, it carries with it a lot of scruff. But the scruff is easy to get rid of if you know what you're doing.

A clean install requires quite a bit of extra work that can lead to other troubles... such as reinstalling applications, data, preferences, etc.

You probably will say, "just use the backup you made to recover everything". But then, what's the difference between doing it that way and an upgrade install?

Whenever I get around to installing BS (11.0.1 or 11.0.2) it will be an upgrade install.

Last year, I did 3 Catalina 'upgrade installs' on a new iMac and my two laptops without a problem and have been doing the same since 2013 - never had an issue, BUT like backup drives, they will eventually die and an macOS install will eventually go wrong, regardless of the method used.

Just finished the 'Big Sur Install' chapter in Joe Kissell's book shown in my previous post; he spent twice as many pages on the 'clean install' discussion - hmmm - but, I'm waiting for Apple to release 11.0.2 (they are already on 11.0.1 looking at the upgrade notifications in 'System Preferences' on two of my 'compatible' computers) and assessing the experiences of others making the 'early leaps of faith' - :) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just finished the 'Big Sur Install' chapter in Joe Kissell's book shown in my previous post; he spent twice as many pages on the 'clean install' discussion - hmmm - but, I'm waiting for Apple to release 11.0.2 (they are already on 11.0.1 looking at the upgrade notifications in 'System Preferences' on two of my 'compatible' computers) and assessing the experiences of others making the 'early leaps of faith' -

Only "Indiana Jones" can make a leap of faith. (LOL, I know you're a great movie fan)

I believe Apple is not going to wait very long before releasing 11.0.2. With all the glitches that have occured and especially the "bricking" of the 2013-2014 MacBook Pros, Apple is in the hot seat right now. I advise waiting for a bit to see what pans out. I know I'm going to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Only "Indiana Jones" can make a leap of faith. (LOL, I know you're a great movie fan)

I believe Apple is not going to wait very long before releasing 11.0.2. With all the glitches that have occured and especially the "bricking" of the 2013-2014 MacBook Pros, Apple is in the hot seat right now. I advise waiting for a bit to see what pans out. I know I'm going to wait.

Thanks Charlie - will definitely be waiting for at least 11.0.2 and not taking that 'leap of faith' - and yes a BIG movie fan - own The Last Crusade w/ Ford and the recently late Sean Connery - he'll be missed. Dave :)
maxresdefault.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Charlie - will definitely be waiting for at least 11.0.2 and not taking that 'leap of faith' - and yes a BIG movie fan - own The Last Crusade w/ Ford and the recently late Sean Connery - he'll be missed. Dave

My two favorite James Bond actors are no longer with us: Sean Connery and Roger Moore. May they both RIP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.