Mackeeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Best of luck with the surgery Harry. Here's to hoping for a speedy and painless recovery. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
you'll just have to use your legs....or ask Siri to type for you......now there's a thought..voice activated laptop and software....:\

Well actually… you can use Siri to enter text on a Mac.

How to use Siri for voice dictation on a Mac with Mobile Mouse | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Thanks guys. Too old to learn that Siri nonsense, but eight weeks in a sling....................

My poor wife!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks guys. Too old to learn that Siri nonsense, but eight weeks in a sling....................

My poor wife!

Good luck Harry and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

In the meantime, you might want to check out Dragon. I know you think you're too old to learn, but some of the most self-admitted computer neophytes I know at work swear by it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A second for Dragon. I had a friend who was paralyzed and could not use her arms at all that used dragon on the PC and did Photoshop work with it! Amazing to watch.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
A second for Dragon. I had a friend who was paralyzed and could not use her arms at all that used dragon on the PC and did Photoshop work with it! Amazing to watch.

Crikey!!! if it can do AutoCAD i can put my feet up....now where are those cigars??:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well, for me I think that you need to strike a balance and if revenue now drives the forum along then perhaps put the price up for the undesirable ones, because times may get tough and if we've canned them once they may be reluctant to come back?

Is it me or have advertisers and marketeers taken over the whole shooting match?
Everything I do, see, read or hear is covered by these people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Raised the latest ads here for MacKeeper Antivirus. The problem as I see it new Mac users may well consider the product/s promoted here to come with some sort of 'seal of approval

Harry that is what I first thought when I cam on board.

what amazes me is they have a product made for one of the best platforms out there yet they cannot approve on it and make it Mac friendy? I doubt they got on board and said lets make a real ****** product and advertise the crap out of it so we ca make a quick buck. Have they ever been on this forum to discus their shortcummings and new updates to improve Mackeeper?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry that is what I first thought when I cam on board.

what amazes me is they have a product made for one of the best platforms out there yet they cannot approve on it and make it Mac friendy? I doubt they got on board and said lets make a real ****** product and advertise the crap out of it so we ca make a quick buck. Have they ever been on this forum to discus their shortcummings and new updates to improve Mackeeper?

They're a sham outfit, much like iSkySoft and the others. They make a barely functional piece of software and then do exactly as you described, although I have seen them respond to certain reviews.

From what I understand, it has been improved a bit - earlier incarnations actually ran in WINE! (in other words, the app was developed for Windows and was running in emulation).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello folks,

Did anything ever come of this at all because I just answered a lonely post asking advice on reinstalling it?

There is currently a very prominent banner in our forum header which sticks out like a sore thumb.

What about a prominent sticky in one of the forums or indeed a forum by way of a definitive statement giving a balanced and fair view of our opinion on this app and the other well known one?

Or indeed we can just keep bumping this thread to keep it in minds eye.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't seen a MacKeeper ad on here for quite some time - until this morning. Seems like it's getting rotated in on the AdChoices carousel.

I have asked many times that we do a better job of curating ads - particularly those for products like MacKeeper that are scareware at best, malware at worst. Unfortunately, our volunteer staff is far removed from these kinds of decisions. So, while we can ask, beg, and plead - at the end of the day, it's out of our hands.

I don't want to be dismissive of this concern - it is a valid criticism. When you prominently feature an ad at the top of the forum, I think there's a natural tendency for people to think the solution is endorsed by the forum. And since so many of our visitors are coming here looking for help, I'm sure that this is a very effective marketing tool for them.... and I can't tell you how much heartburn that gives me. With that said, I truly appreciate all of the damage control you do, both the staff and the senior members. Without your constant vigilance, I shudder to think what would become of our reputation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
And seven years later MacKeeper is STILL being advertised here...

Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 12.46.07.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am seeing the Mackeeper banner 99% of the time I come to the forums now. The last 2-3 days for sure. It's right at the top of the page and says it's highly recommended.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And seven years later MacKeeper is STILL being advertised here...

As I noted in the post you featured in your screenshot, I am painfully aware of it. We are working with the powers that be to try to find an amicable solution to this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
I haven't seen a MacKeeper ad on here for quite some time - until this morning. Seems like it's getting rotated in on the AdChoices carousel.

Speaking of AdChoices, I just spotted this at the top of a forum page:

"How to Defrag Your iMac? + Defragment Your iMac in Minutes! + Follow The Simple Instructions... Mac-Defrag.softcity.com" This links to a scareware ad.

Caveat emptor!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
What about CleanMyMac? Or is that legit?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about CleanMyMac? Or is that legit?

I think CleanMyMac is held in about the same esteem as MacKeeper, though it's not quite as awful in my experience.

Really, both of these products don't do anything more than Onyx does. And Onyx is both well-respected and effective (and free too).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
I think CleanMyMac is held in about the same esteem as MacKeeper, though it's not quite as awful in my experience.

Really, both of these products don't do anything more than Onyx does. And Onyx is both well-respected and effective (and free too).

Yes I also use Onyx and greatly enjoy it. I recently discovered an application called Maintenance which is like a smaller version of Onyx. Though, I am still confused sometimes at what some certain functions do on Onyx.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I also use Onyx and greatly enjoy it. I recently discovered an application called Maintenance which is like a smaller version of Onyx. Though, I am still confused sometimes at what some certain functions do on Onyx.

Maintenance basically distills Onyx down to its essence - running routine maintenance tasks and tries to make Onyx more user-friendly. If you don't understand what certain functions in Onyx do, simply don't run them.

That said, OS X does a pretty decent job of maintaining itself. As long as you don't fill the system drive, leaving at least 15-20% free at all times, you pretty much don't need to worry about it. If you feel the need to maintain it (i.e., you're not having a specific problem, just want to be proactive) then you can run Onyx or Maintenance about once every 3-6 months. More often than that and you're defeating the point of some of the caches you'll be clearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.