Macintosh SE

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If your only interest is just to look at it (and maybe to take it apart to see the insides)...then you're good to go. But if you actually want to use it...try & find a deal that includes OS & app. disks.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

yeah, i like taking things apart for no reason. anything i don't need gets taken apart pretty much. its just pretty much just quite fascinated with stuff like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
p.s. Believe it or not...computers in the last 20 years have not advanced as much as you think. The hardware has gotten a lot faster...and the software has gotten a lot more user friendly & feature "rich". But many of the "basic" things we use computers for today hasn't changed a lot from 1990.

I'll bet you didn't use them to fill your house up back then though..... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram
Sure didn't use them for paper weights. Used it primarily for business, education, and whatever else (not much for games) you would use a computer for.

Quicken
MS Word for Mac
MS Excel for Mac
WordPerfect (Version 1.0 - there was never a 2.0)
Mac Write
Mac Calc
Acrobat (PDF)
Canvas (Drawing CAD app) - still around accept not for the Mac only on the PC
Education software for educators (cannot remember all the different programs)
Last OS (and still installed) was 7.3.

There was more apps back in the day, but they had disappeared over the years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I used WordPerfect back in school. that was some time ago. i also remember PenDown, but i think that was MS.

Reaction score
I have an SE30 with 7.5 on it. Works Great. Had to change out the picture tube...had a burnt screen. Made a club program a few years ago for my mom with Clarisworks just to prove to a PC guy the power of an old Mac. A postscript file is a still used by printers you know. You never would have known the printed program was made on an old SE30.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an SE30 with 7.5 on it. Works Great. Had to change out the picture tube...had a burnt screen. Made a club program a few years ago for my mom with Clarisworks just to prove to a PC guy the power of an old Mac. A postscript file is a still used by printers you know. You never would have known the printed program was made on an old SE30.

is it dangerous to go inside that old crt?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
The Mac SE was the first Mac my dad purchased when I was... well, not a kid, but maybe 21-22. He bought it with 4MB RAM, a 40MB hard drive, and a video accelerator card to drive a 20" Mobius grayscale display. The other benefit of the accelerator card was that it boosted the processor from an 8mhz 68000 proc to a 16mhz 68030 with a 32-bit bus. He ran that computer daily for about 17 years. When he finally retired it, he calculated that he had probably earned, over that 17 years, about a half million dollars from writing on that computer, which all told cost about $8500 in 1988. Not a bad return on investment.

Oh... and that Mac is what led me to my IT career today.

Reaction score
A few important notes about the SE:

1. Many older SE models only have 800K drives. You'll need an Apple-branded floppy drive (aka one from the late 80s or 90s) if you want to use Apple's system disks from their older software section or some of the shareware/freeware/public domain programs available for it on the web. USB floppy drives don't read or write to 800K disks, just 1.4MB disks.

2. Macintosh SEs marked "FDHD" or "SuperDrive" under their name CAN read 1.4MB disks, so a USB floppy drive will work fine.

3. You can run up to System 7.5.5 on an SE, but you'll need the full 4MB RAM to do so.

4. It's not dangerous to go inside an SE as long as you know what you're doing. Avoid touching the anode cap (which looks like a red suction cup) on the CRT and you'll be fine. (The SE generally self-discharges this as long as the machine is unplugged, but I'd still avoid it unless you must replace the CRT, and even then you can discharge it). What is tricky is actually getting inside the case--you need a long-shafted Torx T15 screwdriver to do so. Sears is hit-or-miss for finding these but you can usually find one online if you look hard enough.

5. Beware of bad capacitors and leaked batteries. Pre-1989 SEs had their PRAM battery soldered to the logic board, which many did not care to clip when it went bad. Capacitors are a problem in the majority of old Macs; re-capping the board is usually a good idea regardless of its condition--the caps will fail sooner or later.

6. I'd recommend picking up an SE if you can get one at a low cost or for free. Prices on eBay are inflated and shipping is usually quite high. These little computers are fun to play with and serve as a reminder of how much we could do with so little years ago. Aside from some of our online uses, most of the basic uses a typical user has for their computer have remained the same from the time these computers were introduced in 1987 to today. I will also mention that they can be surprisingly useful today--I used one productively to help children learn last fall. (I used it alongside several iMac G3s with Kid Works 2 and for differentiated instruction for individual students in mathematics).

7. The introduction and discontinuation dates given earlier in this thread are for the SE/30, the SE's more powerful cousin. The SE itself was introduced in March 1987. It was revised in August 1989 to include SuperDrives. Apple officially lists its termination date as October 1990, but SEs were produced into February 1991. There were a few minor revisions along the line--original SEs shipped with noisy drum fans, often called a "rat cage" or "squirrel cage", but were replaced by blade fans sometime around the beginning of 1988 (which were quieter and didn't cause screen interference). Earlier models with a 1.4MB drive were labeled as "FDHD", with later models branded as "SuperDrive". There were also a few technical revisions to RAM jumpers and battery holder mechanisms.

8. The European models had different designations written on the front depending on their configuration, with RAM and hard drive size written in an x/y format (i.e. an SE with 1MB RAM and a 20MB hard drive was marked as a "Macintosh SE 1/20").

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.