Macintosh 512K help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think that it was also possible (at some point)...to get an external floppy drive that was "high-density" capable. But I think that it only worked with the Mac Plus and above (don't think it worked with the Mac 512).

- Nick

It's been so long I forgot a lot of stuff I learned about the old Macs. I remember reading for a plus to with a 1.44 it was not just the drive but a Floppy controller chip. The 512 is so old I doubt much can be done. Same with the 128.

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh: i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, EVGA GTX 660 2GB
Do you guys know of any way I could read Macintosh floppy disks with a PC or a Mac using some sort of software or something? Or do I have to buy a 90's Mac to transfer anything?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Under which menu would I find write protection?

It's not under any menu...you have to slide the black plastic tab on the floppy disk itself to go from write-protected to non-write protected.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you guys know of any way I could read Macintosh floppy disks with a PC or a Mac using some sort of software or something? Or do I have to buy a 90's Mac to transfer anything?

Where are these floppies coming from...the 512?

If so...you're really pushing it with this question!;) There was a time when you couldn't read Mac floppies on a Windows computer. And even if you could...you would probably need an old Windows computer to read the floppies any way.

I guess I should ask...what the heck is your goal(s) with this Mac 512?

You're spending (and have spent a lot of $$$) for a 1985 computer...which in reality is something nice to look at from a "historical perspective"...but really shouldn't be anything you're trying to do some "real" work with.

- Nick

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay Nick,

If it DOES require an old Windows PC or Macintosh, I am probably gonna forget about this.

I need to find a format of disk the Macintosh can read to run software. Im trying to run software w/o buying a $50 copy of the piece of software when I can just download it online. I have 3 old Windows machines (one with XP, one with Windows 95, the other with Windows 95) and no old Apple computers (besides my 512, of course.) but have 2 new Macs. Can Windows 95 help me on this one?

Yet again, can Windows 95 read the Macintosh's disk format?

Thanks
- John

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
John,

I think what is really turning this whole thread into a big headache...is you're really not telling use EXACTLY what you're trying to do. Stop being so "cryptic"...just tell us what you're trying to do on this Mac 512...PLEASE!;)

You said:

I need to find a format of disk the Macintosh can read to run software.

Tell us exactly what software you're trying to run on this Mac 512...and then maybe we can offer some solutions.

Maybe the Mac 512 is NOT the computer you need to be using...thus there's no point in us trying to make something work, on a computer it will not run on.

Im trying to run software w/o buying a $50 copy of the piece of software when I can just download it online.

If this software is for a Mac 512...as far as I know...there's no $50 piece of software for a 1985 Mac 512 still being sold in 2012. Maybe I'm wrong.;)

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...I did see what you wrote initially in your last post (before you edited it)!;) lol

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I am very sorry for being such a big headache. I had found MacPaint (link will be here if needed) and had wanted to run it on this computer. My goal I am trying to achieve here, well, I have no goal. This, this is for fun. I just need to get this software on a disk compatible with the Mac 512 and can be created on one of my current machines.

I'm not using this for work because, well, this computer belongs in the Smithsonian. I am using it for fun. It is sitting in my room by my Macbook Pro all hooked up and everything, and I am just trying to see what it can do. Not what I need it to do. Because it does't need to do anything.

P.S. $50 piece of software = only MacPaint copy on eBay. I just spent $50 on a keyboard. I'm not spending another $50.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I am very sorry for being such a big headache. I had found MacPaint (Download MacPaint - Macintosh Garden) and had wanted to run it on this computer. My goal I am trying to achieve here, well, I have no goal. This, this is for fun.

I'm not using this for work because, well, this computer belongs in the Smithsonian. I am using it for fun. It is sitting in my room by my Macbook Pro all hooked up and everything, and I am just trying to see what it can do. Not what I need it to do. Because it does't need to do anything.

P.S. $50 piece of software = only MacPaint copy on eBay. I just spent $50 on a keyboard. I'm not spending another $50.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...for all that specific info.:)

Just for background...have you read these:

MacPaint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Macpaint.org: How to Run Macpaint Today
MacPaint 1.5

Here's the deal. As I hope that you know...when you operate a computer...it needs to have an OS installed on it to operate. All modern computers have a hard drive...and on that hard drive is an operating system installed on it.

When you turn on almost any modern computer (any modern computer, being just about any computer since probably 1990 onwards)...it will automatically "boot" since there is an OS installed on it.

The difference with many computers from the early to mid to even late 1980's is...not many of those computers had a hard drive. So when you flipped the power switch on...the display would light up...and just stare back at you (no hard drive = no OS = nothing to boot the computer from).

This includes your Mac 512. It has a single floppy drive...nothing else inside other than the display, logic board, and power supply. So when you insert a floppy disk into the Mac 512...it needs to have an OS installed on the floppy, in order to boot the computer.

In some cases...a single floppy disk (if there's enough room) could contain your:

- OS boot files (Mac OS)
- application files (MacPaint app.)
- data files (any files you create in MacPaint for example)

But...because single-sided 400k floppy disks don't have a lot of storage space...sometimes you had to break things up into 2-3 separate floppy disks.

- Disk #1 (OS disk) for the OS
- Disk #2 (App. Disk) for the Application (MacPaint)
- Disk #3 (Data disk) for saving the files you create with apps.

You could also (if there's enough room)...combine the App. Disk & Data Disk on the same disk. What this 1, 2, or 3 disk setup caused was a lot of "disk-swapping". You would have to eject a disk...then insert another disk...for the computer to do everything from booting, opening an app., and saving data.

So my questions/statements to you are:

- Do you have an OS "boot disk" for your Mac 512?
- Downloading MacPaint is going to be really really tough. You basically need a newer Mac that can connect to the internet...but still old enough to be able to read/write 400k Mac-formatted floppies (to write the MacPaint app. onto).

You would need this "newer Mac" to both be able to transfer the MacPaint app. to floppy (after downloading)...and make a "boot floppy" (after downloading the Mac OS for the Mac 512).

This is a REALLY REALLY REALLY difficult project if you don't have the hardware to do it with. If you noticed in one of the links above...you can run MacPaint (an app. from the mid-1980's) on a newer Mac & newer OS (from the 1990's). But I'm guessing you really want to be able to run apps. on the Mac 512 you purchased.

The easiest way to obtain software for your Mac 512 is to buy it off e-Bay (floppies)...which as you mentioned can be expensive. You should also know...after 25+ years...floppy drives wear out...and the magnetic media on floppy disks degrades. So even if you did buy original floppy disks with apps on them for your Mac 512 from e-Bay...there's a good chance when you insert that floppy disk into the Mac 512's floppy drive...that it won't be readable. Either because of the slightly degraded floppy disk...or the slightly or heavily worn out floppy drive.

There are lots & lots of issues trying to run a 25+ year-old computer...and even more hassles when it's a 25+ year-old Macintosh!!! I could write a book on this...but sadly...I don't think many people would be interested!;)

- Nick

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alrighty, I am going to answer your questions.

1. - Do you have an OS "boot disk" for your Mac 512?

Yes. My boot disk has System 6.0.8 on it.

2. - Downloading MacPaint is going to be really really tough. You basically need a newer Mac that can connect to the internet...but still old enough to be able to read/write 400k Mac-formatted floppies

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro and a 2009 iMac. Probably won't cut it. But then my brain hatched an idea! :D
So when I decompressed your MacPaint 1.5 file into an IMG, my Mac gave me an error about the format. Then THIS is where I went "Hmmm... if this had an error... it must be in original format. SO, could I use an external floppy disk reader to write the image to? WHAT IF, I went into Disk Utility, and selected my floppy disk, and clicked the restore tab. Then, in the source disk image, dragged my MacPaint.img into there and dragged my floppy in as destination? Would that write the disk image in the Macintosh's format?

I am saying this assuming you have a Mac running OS X.

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello? Guys? Am I being "cryptic" again?

This thread is turning into my main Mac 512 question thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.