Macbooks and heat

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook from 2007 and it's beginning to show its age, so I'm thinking of buying a new laptop.

I would use the laptop for a couple of hours every day at least - basically I would use it as I would a desktop, though I don't want to buy a desktop for various reasons.

I guess the macbook pro is my best option - my main problem with my current macbook is the heat. I can't have it on my knee because it gets so hot - I have to put a book underneath it. And the fans 'power up' to become quite noisy fairly frequently. I don't use the laptop for heavy-duty stuff, it's mainly for browsing the internet and writing documents.

How are the macbook air and macbook pro at dealing with heat? The thing that puts me off the Macbook air is the thought that it's not really going to be able to cope with heavy use, at it looks such a flimsy thing - but I do love how neat it looks... anyone?

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pretty much every notebook is going to be a heatsink sitting on your lap. You need to invest in a lap stand if your intended use is on your lap.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It sounds like the problems that you're experiencing with heat may actually be because of the way that you're using it. Notebooks are designed to be mobile but they require hard, flat surfaces. As such, using them on soft, suffocating surfaces like a bed can cause problems. Do you experience the same heat issues when you use your MB on a hard surface like a table or a desk?

EDIT: bobtomay beat me to it! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
How do the macbook pro and macbook air compare for heat? Can the macbook air withstand long-use compared to a macbook pro?

EDIT: yeah at the moment I just use a flat surface (hardback book), which is fine. I'm just wondering how the hardware deals with heat and long-term use...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depending on your use - you could do what I've done (I don't like using a lap stand either) - keep your MB and get an iPad.

No heat - 10 hour battery - great for sitting in the old recliner or on the couch and want to do a little surfing or playing.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nah, I need a proper keyboard as I do a lot of typing/writing... with my current macbook, part of the circuit board has melted, I think, and it no longer recognises batteries - I have to have it connected to the mains all the time. Which is why I'm questioning the hardware and build quality and ability to deal with heat of the macbook air vs macbook pro... whether I can use them as often as a desktop... more thoughts on this are welcome!

OP
M
Reaction score
Thinking about it now I'm leaning towards the MPB, since I'm after essentially a desktop replacement and I imagine that laptop has been built with that kind of reliability more in mind (though I might be wrong!)

I'm looking at the UK apple store's refurbished section - battery life is shorter on the macbooks here than on their brand new equivalents. Does anyone know if refurbished laptops have older batteries, or whether they are fitted with the latest, long-lasting batteries?

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.