Macbook Ram Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Just a quick one,

I have currently 512mb ram (2x 256mb) on my macbook. But I was wondering could I buy a 1gb stick, then take 256mb and put it to the video card. so I would basically have.

1- 1gb ram stick
1- 256 ram stick (shared with video card)

I basically want to do this because Apple said its bad to have differint sticks and each one would be even, and I would like some more ram on my video card. I'am going to the N.Y apple store and was gonna buy the one gig stick there (if I could)

D

dupressdsu

You cannot add more ram to a video card. And your macbook does not have dedicated video memory, it is simply leaching memory off of your ram anyways to run video computations.

As for why you don't want to run two different ram sizes or modules...You're running DDR2 ram/memory which is dual channel and it wants to split the operations between the memory banks and you'd be creating a lop-sided flow. Just put modules of equal size in each slot for optimum performance.

Also I wouldn't buy memory straight from apple...too $$$ just go to newegg.com or similiar and get it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I just checked Apple's website, they want $500 for 2 gigs in the MacBook. Yikes! Techno Mutant, if you're willing to install the ram yourself, you can get 2 gigs for only $160. Order two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231069

Installing the ram is very simple. Flip your MacBook over, remove the battery (requires a coin to turn the lock), and you will see a metal plate with 3 screws in it. Remove those screws, pull out the plate, and you will see two levers. Push the levers to pop the ram out and insert the new stuff, then resassemble (screw the plate back in and put the battery back in). If your Mac boots up okay and "About this Mac" shows 2 gigs of ram, you can now test the ram overnight using Rember. Rember will tell you if there are any problems with the new ram. You can download it for free here:

http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/

That's it - $160 and a bit of effort on your part and you can save loads over what Apple will charge you as well as avoid a trip to the store. All you need to know how to do is use a screwdriver :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
dupressdsu said:
You cannot add more ram to a video card. And your macbook does not have dedicated video memory, it is simply leaching memory off of your ram anyways to run video computations.

As for why you don't want to run two different ram sizes or modules...You're running DDR2 ram/memory which is dual channel and it wants to split the operations between the memory banks and you'd be creating a lop-sided flow. Just put modules of equal size in each slot for optimum performance.

Also I wouldn't buy memory straight from apple...too $$$ just go to newegg.com or similiar and get it that way.
The Intel 945 chipset in the Macbook uses Flex memory technology which allows it to run 2 missed (size and brand/model) matched ram sticks and it will still run in dual channel with out any negative affect on the intergrated graphics or the system..

I agree you dont need to buy your ram from apple

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
Noxian said:
The Intel 945 chipset in the Macbook uses Flex memory technology which allows it to run 2 missed (size and brand/model) matched ram sticks and it will still run in dual channel with out any negative affect on the intergrated graphics or the system..

I agree you dont need to buy your ram from apple

is it ok if I have two different sizes? I don't really understand what you are saying. Thanks for your help I will defiantly get it from newegg but I don't think I need two gigs just yet. (maybe I do! :yinyang: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Techno Mutant said:
is it ok if I have two different sizes? I don't really understand what you are saying. Thanks for your help I will defiantly get it from newegg but I don't think I need two gigs just yet. (maybe I do! :yinyang: )
Yes, you can run two different sizes. However, if you want to take full advantage of the dual channel RAM, you will want to install the RAM in equal pairs. Apple themselves even recommend this
Apple said:
The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM — which is strongly recommended — you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
Yes, you can run two different sizes. However, if you want to take full advantage of the dual channel RAM, you will want to install the RAM in equal pairs. Apple themselves even recommend this
I am not sure why Apple is recommending this because according to Intel
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945g/

Intel® Flex Memory Technology - Gives users a more flexible memory upgrade option by allowing different memory sizes to be installed while maintaining dual-channel mode/performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Noxian said:
I am not sure why Apple is recommending this because according to Intel
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945g/
The Intel 945G is a desktop chipset that uses a Pentium processor.
The Pentium is a single channel processor which is why it makes no difference if RAM isn't paired.

Apple however uses the Intel 945GM which is a laptop chipset. http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945gm/index.htm

The i945GM uses the Core Duo. The Core Duo is a dual core processor and therefore needs the RAM to be paired for optimal performance. Yes you can used mismatched pairs, but you will not get the benefit of the dual channel.

D

dupressdsu

Thats what I thought too.. (Yes you can run it, but you lose the Dual Channel Synergy)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
ok thanks I just purchases a one gig stick I will upgrade probally later this year!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
The Intel 945G is a desktop chipset that uses a Pentium processor.
The Pentium is a single channel processor which is why it makes no difference if RAM isn't paired.

Apple however uses the Intel 945GM which is a laptop chipset. http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/945gm/index.htm

The i945GM uses the Core Duo. The Core Duo is a dual core processor and therefore needs the RAM to be paired for optimal performance. Yes you can used mismatched pairs, but you will not get the benefit of the dual channel.
if you look here
http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/309219.htm
and read the datasheet on the memory support for the 945GM chipset it supports
Single Channel
Dual Channel Symmetric
Dual Channel Asymmetric

Dual channel asymmetric allows the chipset to work in Dual Channel mode when ethier one stick is installed or 2 sticks of different sizes or specs.

S

Shnizzle66

hey!

Hi I am new here, and I am planning on making the jump to Mac from Windows. Right now, I plan on buying a MacBook but want to upgrade the RAM from the measly 512 mb to 2gb RAM. Thing is, I want to know if these memory stick will work with the MacBook. (I am a bit low on money right now so I'm looking at Ebay)

RAM 1 gb pair

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 macbook
your best bet is to get the ram from newegg.
those wont work because they need to be 200 pin instead of 184.

Reaction score
First off that is RAM for a pc, second off that is OLD ram for a pc.

They are PC2100 to PC2700 and a Macbook is PC2-5300, you don't have to be computer smart to know that PC2-5300 is a lot more than PC 2700.

Yeah,

Make sure wherever you get this from, be it newegg or ebay or whatever, that you make sure it is the same type of ram that the macbook accepts, just look on the macbook hardware specifications on apple dot com.

S

Shnizzle66

mplock said:
First off that is RAM for a pc, second off that is OLD ram for a pc.

They are PC2100 to PC2700 and a Macbook is PC2-5300, you don't have to be computer smart to know that PC2-5300 is a lot more than PC 2700.

Yeah,

Make sure wherever you get this from, be it newegg or ebay or whatever, that you make sure it is the same type of ram that the macbook accepts, just look on the macbook hardware specifications on apple dot com.

Will this model work?
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85023-3&prodlist=shopping

Reaction score
just ordered the Corsair on Zipzoomfly dot com
Free Shipping, NO TAX in NJ at least... :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.