::MacBook Pro Won't Get Passed The Startup Screen::

OP
N
Reaction score
If not, it would be a weird coincidence...;)

This is what you need for the restore cd.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd17.html

Here are the updates for your MBP.
MacBook Pro (15-inch) MBP11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.2) 1.2f10 (SMC 1.0)

Info for updating firmware.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1557?viewlocale=en_US

I'm going to try all that, thanks a lot for all the help. I appreciate it. I ask though if you could possible check back to this thread whenever you get a chance in case I have any questions. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I'm going to try all that, thanks a lot for all the help. I appreciate it. I ask though if you could possible check back to this thread whenever you get a chance in case I have any questions. Thanks!
You're welcome! :)

Good luck and post any results or problems!

OP
N
Reaction score
ok so I burned the firmware driver restoration and put it in the computer when im supposed to, it makes the noise but won't do anything..no status bar or anything..how long does it take for it to finish? its been on for a little over an hour..is there a way to transfer important files to my girlfriend macbook even with my computer like that so I can just reinstall everything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so I burned the firmware driver restoration and put it in the computer when im supposed to, it makes the noise but won't do anything..no status bar or anything..how long does it take for it to finish? its been on for a little over an hour..is there a way to transfer important files to my girlfriend macbook even with my computer like that so I can just reinstall everything?
No, it shouldn't take that long. Were these exact steps followed?
  1. Make sure that the computer you are trying to restore is plugged into an AC outlet.
  2. Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).

On Macs that don't have a sleep LED, tones are used instead. Hold down the power button until you hear 3 long tones, then 3 short tones, then 3 long tones.

On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.
  3. Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.

A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.
The computer will restart automatically after the firmware is updated.

OP
N
Reaction score
No, it shouldn't take that long. Were these exact steps followed?
  1. Make sure that the computer you are trying to restore is plugged into an AC outlet.
  2. Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).

On Macs that don't have a sleep LED, tones are used instead. Hold down the power button until you hear 3 long tones, then 3 short tones, then 3 long tones.

On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.
  3. Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.

A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.
The computer will restart automatically after the firmware is updated.

when i keep the power button pressed it blinks rapidlly but not the way it explains it there..when it starts blinking thats when I insert the disk right before the loud tone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you're doing it correctly. No Apple logo or progress bar?

OP
N
Reaction score
I read something about transfer mode, but does it have to be through firewire or can it be through usb? will this work to transfer important files over so I can reinstall osx?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's working or at least it's trying to. My guess is either it's considering nothing is wrong with the firmware or there is a possible problem with the logic board or SMC, and it can't apply it.

I know you tried this before, but reset the SMC.

From there, if it still can't boot normally, backup anything you want to keep to the other Mac using Target Disk mode.
Afterwards, try the Erase and install.
If it still won't boot, I would say it needs looked at. It may be just the fans or, as mentioned, the logic board.
It did show a hardware problem with the test, and we've covered most possible fixes. I wish I had better news for you...:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read something about transfer mode, but does it have to be through firewire or can it be through usb? will this work to transfer important files over so I can reinstall osx?
Target Disk mode may be your only option. Other methods would require you logging on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
when booting it stays on bluescreen with swirly circle

one night i came home & an update had been done on my mac book pro 10.4 8

it asked me to shutdown or restart.
i shut down and the following day i turn my mac on
and it wouldnt load
hangs on the blue screen.
i tried to start in standalone mode by holding down the shift key after the startup chime and it didnt work
i put my os disk in went to utility and done a disk repair and no errors wer found
and my computer would not allow me to install the operating system
with out removing all my volumes.
wat do i do?
if i install my origional disk does that mean i will lose my work
or applications like final cut pro and final draft ?

Please help!!! thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.