• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Macbook Pro Upgrade January

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
will apple really back blu ray when it is still unclear who has one the format war because so far it is jsut toshiba supporting HD-DVD in their sattelite range and sony putting blu ray into Vaio would apple take this gamble?

Reaction score
i think if apple would back either it would be bluray
just because of toast already supporting bluray and bluray dl

but it would be smart of apple to stay out of that game for a little while unless it found a way to make a superduper drive that supported everything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
but it would be smart of apple to stay out of that game for a little while unless it found a way to make a superduper drive that supported everything

Which realisticly isnt going to happen within the confines of a laptop it could theoreticlaly happen in the power mac but not in laptop just yet but i belive apple will stay out of the game jsut like the home cinema market is staying out of it with the serious manufacterers like arcam and denon not making any HD format players yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
HD-DVD IMO will turn out the winner, I was really saddened to hear apple will back bluray

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
From what I hear, blu-ray my have a better change. There is suppose to be a blu-ray burner and read-writable media available. Also I was told that you will not be able to burn HD-DVD. I don't know how true this is, but interesting never the less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
HD-DVD IMO will turn out the winner, I was really saddened to hear apple will back bluray

I think HD-DVD will be the home theater format of choice and I think bluray will be the choice for computer storage. Both formats have their strengths and weaknesses that will make them appropriate in different situations. I tend to favor bluray myself but I will not be buying either anytime soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.