MacBook Pro Retina for Gaming

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thank you everyone for the responses! :)

So just to summarise;

MacBook Pro Retina

-Quite expensive considering what you are going to get + all of the parts are going to be glued onto the system which makes upgrading impossible.
-Very good for creative, music and media professionals although most software still needs to be upgraded to work with retina properly.
-Beautiful machine, sleek design, very quick yet while it can handle gaming its by no means brilliant for it.

Windows Laptops

-Better value for money + fully upgradable.
-Better for gaming.
-Equivalent software available for music production, photo editing and video editing.

Would you all agree the above is correct?

To clarify I dont want to go for a desktop as I still need something thats portable so that I can take it with me abroad and on trips and I also want something that can handle gaming but also is good for video and photo editing as well as music production - should I assume considering all of this that customising a Windows laptop would be my best bet and better value for money considering the above?

Thanks again guys, been a great help! :)

I wouldn't say one or the other is better for gaming. Gaming on a notebook is inferior to a dedicated custom gaming rig. Even the "gaming" notebooks are seriously overpriced for the performance that you will get out of them. Windows has the advantage in gaming though because most games are for Windows and they don't port games to Mac unless it's a really big title.

You can do any of those things on either OSes. It just depends on which OS you are comfortable with. In the end it doesn't matter what you use. What matters is quality of your work and how fast you can get it done. The computer is just a tool. People tend to forget that. :D

Reaction score
There are many videos on youtubes made from games running on the rMBP; mac games, windows games via bootcamp, including steam games.

I was surprised by how good the rMBP performed with some shown.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.