Macbook pro mid 2012 issues with HBO buffering

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, so I hope I'm posting in the right category.

I have an old Macbook Pro 2012 that I use for one thing only: watch video on my tv. It's running High Sierra and has Safari and Chrome installed. I have turned off all fancy stuff in order to save as much memory as possible (it has 8GB RAM). Lately, I have been having real issues with watching HBO GO. The issue is different in Safari as it is in Chrome. In Chrome most of the time I can start playing a video, but then after a minute or so, buffering becomes intolerable making the video impossible to watch. In Safari, very often a movie won't even load.

I thought I might have been an HBO problem as I don't have any issues watching Netflix and with everyone staying at home there might be a strain on the internet connection. Burt I don't have any HBO streaming issues on newer macs. So my guess would be that HBO and Netflix handle memory and buffering differently and the HBO way is asking more from the hardware.

The crazy thing is that I don't seem to know how to solve the question. Sometimes just closing Safari is enough. Sometimes I need to reboot. Sometimes nothing helps. (Which would again suggest a network issue).

Anyway, I don't understand the problem, but it is annoying. If anyone has an idea how to solve it, I'd be very happy.

Thanks,
Wbor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi wbor

first off welcome to the forum :)

I doubt its a hardware issue as the 2012 MBP is more than capable today to still use as a fully fledged laptop.

the first issues could be high Sierra have you considered upgrading the os to Mojave ? or even Catalina ?

8GB ram should be plenty also.

the issue could be a weak wifi signal / or as you have stated too much traffic maybe on the network at the same time.

how many people are using the Internet at home in any given time ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Does HBO offer a way to lower video resolution? Is it a 13" or 15" MBP?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, I don't understand the problem, but it is annoying. If anyone has an idea how to solve it, I'd be very happy.

One important bit of information to consider is what sort of internet connection do you have...specifically what sort of download speed (Mbps) does your internet account provide?

If you have a slow internet connection...or if bandwidth is less during busy times in your neighborhood...this can cause buffering when streaming content.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
One important bit of information to consider is what sort of internet connection do you have...specifically what sort of download speed (Mbps) does your internet account provide?

If you have a slow internet connection...or if bandwidth is less during busy times in your neighborhood...this can cause buffering when streaming content.

- Nick

Slow internet shouldn't be the problem. I have a wired connection and according to the google speed test, I have 96Mbps.

- - - Updated - - -

Does HBO offer a way to lower video resolution? Is it a 13" or 15" MBP?

Can't find a way to lower resolution. It is a 13'' MBP

OP
W
Reaction score
hi wbor

the first issues could be high Sierra have you considered upgrading the os to Mojave ? or even Catalina ?

8GB ram should be plenty also.

the issue could be a weak wifi signal / or as you have stated too much traffic maybe on the network at the same time.

how many people are using the Internet at home in any given time ?

I ran Catalina for a while, but that made it almost impossible to use the MBP anymore. It was like crazy slow. That's why I downgraded again. Could try to upgrade to Mojave. It definitely ran on that for a while. As the issues are fairly new, it might help.

Internet connection should be strong enough with 96Mbps. It's just my wife and I here. So while watching movies, the only thing using bandwidth are our iPhones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
That model MBP only has 3/4GB video ram, (shared system memory).

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Buffering issues have nothing to do with your graphics. It most likely has to do with your connection and how your ISP/private router is handling devices on it. Most likely, your router has the devices in orer based on importance, and while other devices might be connected, the MBP might have a low priority. This gives a worse experience when it comes to streaming services with HD that requires a lot of bandwidth.

Do you know how to access your router settings?

OP
W
Reaction score
Interesting, would never have thought about that. My MBP is connected directly to the router. The rest of my system is connected to an Airport Time Capsule.

I live in a rented house, so I don't have the password to the router, but I am sure I can reset it to factory settings and do admin/admin :) But maybe I should try connecting the MBP to the Airport first?

Wbor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Do you know the brand and model of the router?

OP
W
Reaction score
It's a Cisco EPC3925. Pretty old it seems. Then again, my Airport Time Capsule is also a couple of years old. :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slow internet shouldn't be the problem. I have a wired connection and according to the google speed test, I have 96Mbps.

I agree with member iggibar...I don't think you have a computer hardware problem. And if the speed test indicating 96Mbps...you have plenty of bandwidth.

You may or may not want to mess with the router settings...up to you. Sometimes messing with your router can end up with you getting a headache. Lol

What I would suggest is maybe you have a software or OS issue. Easiest way to test is create new user account...restart the computer & boot into that new account...then test your HBO streaming. If the HBO streaming is better...then there may be some sort of software or IS issue on your computers main account.

If you decide to give this a try...please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. It is curious that Netflix streams ok...but HBO does not.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is what I did and tested over the weekend:

- Upgraded MBP to Mojave (don't want to go to Catalina, as I tried that a while ago and it was just to heavy for the machine)
- Wired the MBP through the Airport Time Capsule instead of directly into the router
- Cleared history over and over again

Result? Well, it's a bit better. I have been able to watch some episodes of Billions without interruption. Although the subtitles disappear on a regular basis. But at least that is not causing the site to crash anynore.

Must add that this is only the case in Safari. When trying to use Chrome, the buffering problem continues to happen after a few minutes just like before. And yes, no issues whatsoever with Netflix or Amazon Prime. So I guess it must be a problem with HBO? Then again, it works fine on my MBP 2019.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Wbor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must add that this is only the case in Safari. When trying to use Chrome, the buffering problem continues to happen after a few minutes just like before.

Give the new account suggestion in post #12 a try. If you want to get to the bottom of this...got to explore all possibilities.:)

I would say if the new account idea doesn't help...and the since you have good internet bandwidth...it could very well not be your setup...but an HBO issue. But if it's an HBO issue...there would have to be 1000's & 1000's of VERY unhappy customers contacting HBO.

Also remember. Unless you have dedicated internet service...your internet bandwidth can change during the day. At the busier times of the day...your internet bandwidth can be reduced. When you're experiencing this HBO buffering issue...this is the best time to do an internet Speedtest,.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Give the new account suggestion in post #12 a try. If you want to get to the bottom of this...got to explore all possibilities.:)

Thanks,

I forgot about the new account. Will try. I mean, as frustrating as it is, it is also just fun to try to find out what is happening. :)

Wbor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot about the new account. Will try. I mean, as frustrating as it is, it is also just fun to try to find out what is happening. :)

Exactly. If we find a solution...then you'll know for the next time.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.