Macbook Pro issue with typing: scrambling up & automatically copying texts

OP
L
Reaction score
@chscag

Interesting turn of events: in trying all kind of different things I turned my fans up to a higher RPM (4000) and thus far (couple of hours), the problem seems to have disappeared. Not quite certain whether this actually fixes the problem and what the actual problem could be (although I'm guessing it's probably an issue with either my battery or motherboard heating up) but I'll give a further update later on.

Len

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Are you using Macs Fan Controller or similar? If so what temps are you getting at normal use?

OP
L
Reaction score
Are you using Macs Fan Controller or similar? If so what temps are you getting at normal use?

@ Rod,

normally around 70-80°C and with fans on 4000rpm around 50-60°.

However, I'm currently running on 4400rpm and the issue has reappeared.

I'll probably run by an Apple store this week and see if they are familiar with the issue. If not, I'll try and reset my entire Macbook to factory settings to clean it up. Maybe that will work.

Len

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm wondering if your keyboard is defective or the keyboard cable? That would be something Apple should be able to detect.

The techs at the Apple Store genius bar should be able to run a test on the keyboard and motherboard. If the keyboard assembly turns out to be the culprit, you're looking at an expensive repair since the entire top case would have to be replaced along with the keyboard assembly. I'm not sure if the battery in your model also has to be replaced since it's glued to the chassis. If it's a logic board (motherboard) problem that too will be an expensive repair.

You may be looking at replacing the machine if the repair cost is too high. Something to consider before taking it to Apple.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As previously posted that's what happened with me. My device was covered under Apple Care otherwise I would have been up for $500.00 + initially but in the end they replaced the whole MBP with a new one.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been a day or two since I reset my Macbook back to the original factory settings (re-installed Catalina as well) and the problem has vanished. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to re-install a lot of programs (and re-buy some of them), but fortunately everything is running smoothly again.

I'm still in the dark about what caused the exact problem, but the fact that everything's functioning normally again was worth the reset.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Len

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good to hear that things have returned to normal. Very rarely does a glitch show up that can only be resolved by a new install. But in your case, looks like it worked and you avoided a costly repair. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.