Macbook Pro battery drain

Reaction score
Hi... this is my first post and I hope it's in the right place. I recently bought a 2016 15" Macbook Pro (Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1) and I'm having an odd problem. I have it plugged in pretty much all the time but the battery keeps draining which... in itself is okay. But it drains to zero and my Mac shuts down on me despite the fact that it says the power source is the power adaptor. I can't find a setting that I can enable/disable to prevent this from happening so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds to me like the power adapter is not operating properly. Or since you purchased this MacBook Pro used...maybe the seller gave you the wrong power adapter (not enough watts)...for a 15" MacBook Pro.

Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

Admin pigoo3 has provided sound advice.

When your Mac is operational, it would be sensible to update to the latest version of Monterey, which 12.5

There have been a small flurry of updates from 12.2.1, each having security updates as well as extra functions.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the power adapter is not operating properly. Or since you purchased this MacBook Pro used...maybe the seller gave you the wrong power adapter (not enough watts)...for a 15" MacBook Pro.

Nick
Thank you for your response... I had a look and it seems to be a proper charger (I'm attaching a screenshot in case I've missed something). I'm also planning on updating the OS as soon as I can confirm compatibility with the audio software I'm using.

Attachments

• Image 2022-08-03 at 8.15 AM.jpg
    Image 2022-08-03 at 8.15 AM.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm also planning on updating the OS as soon as I can confirm compatibility with the audio software I'm using.

If your audio software is working fine with 12.2.1, why do you think it would stop working given that we are talking updates - not an Upgrade to a new OS?

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the image. Text was a bit small...but I think it said you have an 86 watt charger...which sounds correct.

I believe your 2016 15" MacBook Pro Power Adapter connects via one of the 4 Thunderbolt ports. My 2017 15" MacBook Pro power connects the same way.

I do notice that sometimes the power cable can wiggle itself out a teeny bit sometimes...which can prevent proper battery charging while plugged in. I would say double check that all cable connections are inserted really well (nothing loose)...both at the computer end & the power adapter end.

When your MacBook Pro is plugged in...are you seeing this in the top right corner of the menu bar area (battery charging indicator with the lightning bolt) :

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 9.32.28 AM.png

If not...could have a connection issue.

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
It's actually a USB 3 cable but... I think you may be right. I did check that initially but maybe the USB cable itself is faulty? I just wanted to rule out the possibility of it being a setting that I don't know about as this is surprisingly different than my old 2012 Macbook Pro. I'll keep monitoring this though.

Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
If your audio software is working fine with 12.2.1, why do you think it would stop working given that we are talking updates - not an Upgrade to a new OS?

Ian
Because someone on the Steinberg forum suggested that it's essential to check the status any time you update. I'm no expert so I rely on the knowledge of those who likely know better than I do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually didn't say anything about what sort of cable it was...I said it connected via one of the 4 Thunderbolt ports. Your 2016 MacBook Pro ONLY has 4 ports...and these are all Thunderbolt ports. The cable itself is a USB-C connector.

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Ahhh... my mistake. I thought they were USB 3 (or C I guess?) ports because that's what the guy who sold me the computer told me they were. And yes... the only ports I have are those four.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro (with 4 Thunderbolt ports)...probably exactly the same port layout as your 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

My main point about the ports was...these USB-C ports where the power adapter plugs into (I've found) can wiggle their was out slightly sometimes...thus losing connection with the power adapter. I've also found this to be true with the video cable I use to an external monitor.

Compared to the old Mag Safe power connector on older MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, and MacBook Airs...which really never came loose. And if it did...you clearly knew it when it got disconnected.

Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a 2012 Macbook Pro... I definitely prefer the Mag Safe connection. I've started using one of the other Thunderbolt ports and so far, the problem hasn't recurred. Fingers crossed...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've started using one of the other Thunderbolt ports and so far, the problem hasn't recurred. Fingers crossed...
Awesome...congrats. Maybe that one port was flakey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.