MacBook Pro 2017

Reaction score
Hi there. Hope you are doing good :)

I’m aware that the 2016 MacBooks are an epic failure at least with the battery life. So bought the 2015 MacBook Pro 15inch instead. Just heard that 2017 Macs will be out soon with new gen. Processor .

I got the 2015 15inch (512 SSD) with Intel Iris Pro Graphics for $2178.

Should I just return it now and wait for the 2017 one?
By that time the 2015 model will be out of production and available officially and only the not so good 2016 will be available along with the 2017 ones which I assume will be **** costly considering the price of 2016 models now.

Is it worth waiting for it expecting it to be good in all departments like the 2015 model incase I can max out my wallet to afford it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just heard that 2017 Macs will be out soon with new gen. Processor .

Not sure what you read or where you read it. But no 2017 MacBook Pro's will be out anytime soon. The latest 2016 model MacBook Pro's were only released 3 months ago. I seriously doubt anything new will be released soon.

If you have information contrary to this...please post a link.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
NatalieThomas89
Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, Welcome to our forums.

As Nick stated above, the 2016 models are only 3 months old. Most Apple watchers agree that newer MacBook Pros will be forthcoming, but not until the end of this year. In any event, Apple is very unpredictable about what they do and when they do it. You purchased the 2015 model which according to Macworld Magazine actually benchmarks better than the 2016 model in some tests. It's your decision but if it were me, I would keep the 2015 model.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I had the 2013 rMBP and now have the 2016 MBP and can't say that the battery life is bad by any regard. I get many hours of use on the battery if I choose to use it that way. The battery issues reported by Consumer Reports were identified to be a combination of a bug in Safari and the way the test was performed. The bug in Safari was fixed and CR elaborated on how they tested and indicated that the battery life with "normal" use is closer to what Apple suggested it would be..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Soon in the sense not soon enough.

In your first post it was mentioned that you recently purchased a new 2015 MacBook Pro...and you were wondering if you should return it if new 2017 MacBook Pro's would be introduced "soon". If this is the case...then generally speaking you have 2 weeks (or less in your case) to return a recently purchased computer.

Almost no way Apple will be releasing new 2017 MacBook Pro's in the next 2 weeks or less when the 2016 MacBook Pro's were released approx. 3 month's ago.

Now this certainly doesn't mean you can't return your 2015 MacBook Pro if you're dissatisfied...and would like to wait until the next MacBook Pro models are released (could be 2017...could be 2018)...no one REALLY knows. But of course this may mean you would have to get another computer (now) to replace the 2015 MacBook Pro (unless you have a 2nd computer you can use).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I wouldn't swop my mid 2015 MBP for the newer models which I feel have abandoned too much - eg USB 3 ports, SD card reader - and that unnecessary touch bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I could get a most of a day on a full charge (internet, mail, photo editing etc) but I tend to use it on battery for three-four hours then (swopping rooms) plug it in to mains power. Depending on what I have been doing, it will have 30 - 60% remaining. I multi task between Mac, newspapers, food & the needs of pets! Brightness - I have the 'dial' at about 66% for both day or artificial light.

OP
NatalieThomas89
Reaction score
First, Welcome to our forums.

As Nick stated above, the 2016 models are only 3 months old. Most Apple watchers agree that newer MacBook Pros will be forthcoming, but not until the end of this year. In any event, Apple is very unpredictable about what they do and when they do it. You purchased the 2015 model which according to Macworld Magazine actually benchmarks better than the 2016 model in some tests. It's your decision but if it were me, I would keep the 2015 model.

that's nice to hear actually. Can you link to the 'Macworld Magazine' you are talking about?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll need to use a digital reader to see the Macworld Geek Bench scores: They're located on Page 64 and 65 of the Jan 2017 issue of Macworld Magazine. Macworld Magazine is only available in digital format. They no longer issue a paper copy. I have a subscription thru Zinio and use their reader. However, you may be able to see the scores by going to the Macworld web site and search for "Geek Bench Scores" for new 2016 MacBook Pros. The scores compare the 2016 model to the 2015 model.

Reaction score
What do you use your MBP for? The Kabylake processor upgrades will really only help video people who use a lot of raw footage. For everyone else the difference won't be appreciable. If you are playing games then you would have purchased one with a discrete video card not the IG. The speed of the processors is only a little bit faster, and that little bit is really hard to discern in most situations.

You may get a little more battery time, but if you need the time of a Air at 12-18 hours, you will need to buy an external battery(about the size of a portable hard drive) and use that when your internal gets low. These cost about $150 and work great.

I suspect that unless you have a need to have the latest and greatest, or you are doing some kind of intense video work, that you wouldn't really know the difference between a late 2013 15 inch MBP and a 15 inch late 2016, or even whatever comes next. I mean if it opens screens 1/2 second faster, does not really mean anything in the real world?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm field testing a 2016 15" MacBook Pro for work and once I got past the port stuff it's a pretty nice laptop. I haven't had any problems with battery life. I do enjoy the statement that it's an "epic failure" based on some criteria, probably the (now admitted to be flawed) Consumer Reports article.

I do wish it had Magsafe, but other omitted ports I personally can do without. I enjoy the giant trackpad and the touchbar is a gimmick for me currently but it's there. The display's improved brightness has not gone unnoticed. The cost though, yeesh.. I wouldn't pay it.

Reaction score
For the new Touch Bar 2016 MBP's.

Can you like per previous models buy RAM from external/Non Apple company, I"m sure the RAM you can get, can you still open the unit and get to the RAM ?

I upgraded my June 2012 MBP to 8GB just after I bought it and got to say as worth it, the new 2016 model I'm looking at comes with 16GB, thinking of upgrading it again if i can to 32GB. Can't remember the company in the UK that offers the memory upgrades ?

G

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For the new Touch Bar 2016 MBP's.

Can you like per previous models buy RAM from external/Non Apple company, I"m sure the RAM you can get, can you still open the unit and get to the RAM ?

I upgraded my June 2012 MBP to 8GB just after I bought it and got to say as worth it, the new 2016 model I'm looking at comes with 16GB, thinking of upgrading it again if i can to 32GB. Can't remember the company in the UK that offers the memory upgrades ?

G

The 15" retina MBPs (of which the latest model is one) the RAM is soldered on and cannot be user upgraded. You have to choose the total memory you want when you buy the Mac. The storage is also soldered one. I believe there were a few models where the SSD was a card that could be upgraded. Checkout iFixIt's tear down of each of the Mac's models to know what can and cannot be upgraded.

Reaction score
awww, dammmm

thanks.

G

The 15" retina MBPs (of which the latest model is one) the RAM is soldered on and cannot be user upgraded. You have to choose the total memory you want when you buy the Mac. The storage is also soldered one. I believe there were a few models where the SSD was a card that could be upgraded. Checkout iFixIt's tear down of each of the Mac's models to know what can and cannot be upgraded.

Reaction score
Hi there. Hope you are doing good :)

I’m aware that the 2016 MacBooks are an epic failure at least with the battery life. So bought the 2015 MacBook Pro 15inch instead. Just heard that 2017 Macs will be out soon with new gen. Processor .

I got the 2015 15inch (512 SSD) with Intel Iris Pro Graphics for $2178.

By that time the 2015 model will be out of production and available officially and only the not so good 2016 will be available along with the 2017 ones which I assume will be **** costly considering the price of 2016 models now.

Is it worth waiting for it expecting it to be good in all departments like the 2015 model incase I can max out my wallet to afford it?

As far as I know, no 2017 MBP will be out, But I guess the new version MacBook Air will be out

Reaction score
The MBPs have to receive an update in 2017

Of course there will be an update to the MBPs in 2017 - simply put they have to. They have to at least do a simple refresh to bring the Kaby Lake gen processors in. I wrote something about it in my blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.