MacBook Pro 2013 15" VS MacBook Pro 2016 13"

Reaction score
Hi! So, I'm finally deciding of shifting to Mac after about 5 years of Windows. The two Macs in my budget are:
  1. MacBook Pro 2013 15" - i7, 16 Gb RAM
  2. MacBook Pro 2016 13" - i5, 8 Gb RAM
Being a noob in Macs, I can't make a decision. I hope someone here can categorize these choices upon my needs. To help me, you might need to know my usage of course.
I'm a developer. What that means is that I almost always have about 12 tabs of StackOverflow open, along with my code editor (VS Code) and about two more desktop apps. What would be the best Mac for me out of these two without being an overkill?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The processor speeds are not listed. There are 4 - 2016 13" models that have the i5 designation. And, 8 - 2013 15" models with the i7 designation.

See this webpage, Apple MacBook Pro Specs (All MacBook Pro Tech Specs): EveryMac.com

With those model year MBP's the 13" models have dual core processors, while the 15" models have quad core processors.

Also, those models have ram which is soldered into place and not upgradeable.

OP
I
Reaction score
The processor speeds are not listed. There are 4 - 2016 13" models that have the i5 designation. And, 8 - 2013 15" models with the i7 designation.

See this webpage, Apple MacBook Pro Specs (All MacBook Pro Tech Specs): EveryMac.com

With those model year MBP's the 13" models have dual core processors, while the 15" models have quad core processors.

Also, those models have ram which is soldered into place and not upgradeable.
Oh great! What do you i suggest i go for, keeping in mind my usage?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm going to say neither computer is right for you. The 2013 model is too old...and the 2016 model doesn't have the specs you need. Keep looking.:)

Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm going to say neither computer is right for you. The 2013 model is too old...and the 2016 model doesn't have the specs you need. Keep looking.:)

Nick
Unfortunately, these are the Macs that fit into my budget. Being a web developer, what kind kf specs do you think i might need?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, these are the Macs that fit into my budget. Being a web developer, what kind kf specs do you think i might need?
Yes understand these 2 used computer may fit your budgets...but they aren't the only 2 used computers out in the market. If you wait 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc...more options will pop up.:)

Not sure where you live or where you are looking for computers...but lots of options out there. I sure hope you're not shopping on a website that sells used Apple computers...generally speaking these are VERY over-priced.

Hopefully you are at least looking at eBay...and if you have Craigslist in your area...you're checking CL as well.

Given what you mentioned doing on your computer...I think you should get a computer with at least 16gig of RAM...and a model that's new enough to run the latest macOS.

Like member ferrarr mentioned above...RAM on Apple portable computers is soldered in (can't be upgraded). Thus you need to buy a unit with enough RAM from the start.

This way this computer won't be obsolete (for you)...in only 1-2 years.

Be patient & keep looking...something better is almost always around the corner. Maybe you can share what your budget is...this way maybe we can help you look.:)

Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes understand these 2 used computer may fit your budgets...but they aren't the only 2 used computers out in the market. If you wait 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc...more options will pop up.:)

Not sure where you live or where you are looking for computers...but lots of options out there. I sure hope you're not shopping on a website that sells used Apple computers...generally speaking these are VERY over-priced.

Hopefully you are at least looking at eBay...and if you have Craigslist in your area...you're checking CL as well.

Given what you mentioned doing on your computer...I think you should get a computer with at least 16gig of RAM...and a model that's new enough to run the latest macOS.

Like member ferrarr mentioned above...RAM on Apple portable computers is soldered in (can't be upgraded). Thus you need to buy a unit with enough RAM from the start.

This way this computer won't be obsolete (for you)...in only 1-2 years.

Be patient & keep looking...something better is almost always around the corner. Maybe you can share what your budget is...this way maybe we can help you look.:)

Nick
My budget is exactly $568. I live in Pakistan. Apple products are generally much expensive here. For instance, the base model M1 which retails at $899 costa about $1300 here. So, I have limited options in this budget when it comes to MBPs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My budget is exactly $568. I live in Pakistan. Apple products are generally much expensive here. For instance, the base model M1 which retails at $899 costa about $1300 here. So, I have limited options in this budget when it comes to MBPs.
Ok I see. Yes do understand in some areas around the world Apple products are more expensive & not as many purchasing options.

Are you able able to purchase things via eBay & have them shipped internationally (receive them in Pakistan)? I know shipping items such as laptop computers that contain non-removable batteries can face restrictions in different countries around the world.

Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok I see. Yes do understand in some areas around the world Apple products are more expensive & not as many purchasing options.

Are you able able to purchase things via eBay & have them shipped internationally (receive them in Pakistan)? I know shipping items such as laptop computers that contain non-removable batteries can face restrictions in different countries around the world.

Nick
I can do that, but i would have to pay a huge amount of tax, almost double the amount of the product itself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can do that, but i would have to pay a huge amount of tax, almost double the amount of the product itself.
I see...too bad. Does this mean you're pretty much limited to purchasing an Apple computer locally?

If so...what's the possibility something else (used Apple computers)...may come up for sale in the next 1-2 weeks?

The two computers mentioned above have their Pro's & Con's:

* The 2013 15" has more CPU power, more RAM, larger display, and possibly more GPU power. Biggest downside is the maximum/newest OS version is Catalina.

* The 2015 13" is smaller (if smallness/lighter is important)...and it can run the latest macOS version "Monterey". Biggest downside to this computer is 8 GB of RAM

Personally I'm ok with using an older computer & older macOS versions. As a developer...if you need to be able to run the latest macOS version (for Developer reasons)...then only the 2015 13" will work. If you don't need to be able to run the latest macOS version...then maybe the 2013 15" will work.

The other thing to consider is how long to you expect to use/keep this computer? If you don't need to run the latest macOS...and not keeping it for a long time (more than 2 years)...maybe the 2013 15" will be ok.

If you need to run the latest macOS version...and you plan in using it for 2-3 years or more...then the 2015 13" is a better choice (except for the 8 GB of RAM issue).

Personally I think I'd be ok with the 2013 15". But I'm not a Developer/Coder/IT professional like you may be.

HTH,

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.