Macbook Pro 2010 LCD graphics issue

Reaction score
Starting a new thread to follow on from this one: https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/a...nal-monitor-operating-system.html#post1851856

On booting my Mid 2010 Macbook pro 15" I get a very light gray screen with a few vertical lines - turning to a row of grey and white vertical bands, then to black with one thick vertical band and eventualy to all black screen - at no time can I see the apple logo or anything else.

I'm trying to diagnose if its the GPU, LCD or other and need some opinions/help. Output to external monitor is fine with both the integrated (intel) and Discreet graphics - just the LCD is the problem as mentioned.

What I've done so far is to:
1. pull the logic board and inspect it - all seems fine. (board is the 820-2850-A)
2. Check voltage across the infamous C9560 capacitor... it reads 1.343v against a schematic target of 1.805v - from my reading it seems like the low voltage is usually atributed to a Kernel panic issue rather that screen display issue.

Just looking for thoughts and ideas on the voltage diff and if its likely the capacitor causing the screen issue or is it more likely a screen / cable issue or something else entirely.

Any help most welcome.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
GPU should be okay if you can output to an external monitor and it appears normal. When you pulled the logic board did you inspect the video cables mainly the LVDS? It's hard to tell if the cables are okay without substitution. If you think the cabling is good, then that leaves the LCD itself.

As I said before in your other thread, rarely does a LCD go out unless it's been damaged in some way: drops, bumps, liquid, etc.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yup, can't see anything untoward on the cable or connector at the logic board end and a bit of jiggling doesn't make anything better.

What's your thoughts on the C9560 low voltage?

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering if I could plug in a 13" screen (only one I have) ribon cable seems same but I'm sure it might cause other issues and dont want to damage the 13"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.