MacBook Pro 15 Mid-2012 Battery Won't Charge

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 15 Mid-2012
Following Upgrade to 16GB RAM/1TB SSD
Battery status indicates 0%
Indicator on magsafe connector is GREEN

Computer shuts off completely when disconnected from power.

Re-opened and found L fan connector disconnected. Not sure if unintentionally by me when opening or if loose when received. Reconnected.

Seems like too much of a coincidence that this happened after I worked on it, but I can't find any obvious problem, once the fan was reconnected.

Reset of SMC seemed to work briefly once, but problem returned and subsequent SMC and PRAM resets fail.

Battery connector appears normal.

I consider hdd and RAM user serviceable, but I'm worried that my vendor may not, even if battery fail is unrelated to my upgrade.

Thanks for considering.
Eric

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I believe the battery in your MBP is non removable. At least it's not supposed to be removable, however, with the proper tools it can be removed. I don't know why you're mentioning memory and the hard drive as user serviceable? Is your MBP under some kind of warranty? I know that the Apple warranty on that machine has long ago expired. In any event, it sounds like you need a new battery.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Yes, battery replacement appears straightforward. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility that I caused the failure. This MBP is under 90-day + 1 year extended warranty with Mac Of All Trades, thus my concern.

Thanks for responding.
--Eric

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Following Upgrade to 16GB RAM/1TB SSD

If the computer was working fine BEFORE the RAM and SSD upgrades...then:

1. Something was done incorrectly during the upgrades.
2. Something is defective with the new upgrades.

To test things...install the old RAM and install the old storage device (the old HD I'm assuming):

- If the battery issue still remains after installing the old RAM and HD...then whomever installed the upgrades...did something incorrectly.
- If the battery issue disappears...then the installer did nothing incorrectly...and something is wrong with either the new RAM or the new SSD (or in a VERY rare case)...both upgrades have issues.

Yes, battery replacement appears straightforward. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility that I caused the failure. This MBP is under 90-day + 1 year extended warranty with Mac Of All Trades, thus my concern.

Do you know if the RAM upgrade or SSD upgrade voids the Mac of All Trades warranty?

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
If the computer was working fine BEFORE the RAM and SSD upgrades...then:

1. Something was done incorrectly during the upgrades.
2. Something is defective with the new upgrades.

To test things...install the old RAM and install the old storage device (the old HD I'm assuming):

- If the battery issue still remains after installing the old RAM and HD...then whomever installed the upgrades...did something incorrectly.
- If the battery issue disappears...then the installer did nothing incorrectly...and something is wrong with either the new RAM or the new SSD (or in a VERY rare case)...both upgrades have issues.

Do you know if the RAM upgrade or SSD upgrade voids the Mac of All Trades warranty?

- Nick

Warranty language appears to exclude damage from repairs done by anyone but them. I put the original RAM and HDD back in and the problem remains.

I feel that I was careful, and followed clear instructions. Maybe the battery was on the brink and disconnecting/reconnecting was all the trigger it needed?

I tend to agree, however, that coincidence is an unlikely conclusion. I just wish I could know what happened, since it's likely that I'll do similar work on this computer or another.

Static discharge through the connector is the only thing that I can come up with, though the humidity was moderate at the time, and I was touching the chassis before handling components. Certainly no sparks or snaps occurred.

Working through the stages of mourning here...

Thanks for the response.
Eric

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put the original RAM and HDD back in and the problem remains.

This is what I thought might happen. Installing new RAM...and a new SSD should not have any connection with a battery issue suddenly popping up.[/quote]

I feel that I was careful, and followed clear instructions. Maybe the battery was on the brink and disconnecting/reconnecting was all the trigger it needed?

Installing RAM and n SSD in that model MBP is pretty easy (not much major surgery).

I tend to agree, however, that coincidence is an unlikely conclusion.

I would say coincidence is the likely conclusion (a RAM & SSD upgrade should not cause a battery issue). Unless some was done incorrectly by the installer.

Static discharge through the connector is the only thing that I can come up with, though the humidity was moderate at the time, and I was touching the chassis before handling components. Certainly no sparks or snaps occurred.

Sounds like if this was done...that you were careful.

Three things:

1. Try an SMC Reset.
2. Try an NVRAM/PRAM Reset.
3. How many charge cycles on the battery?

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
This is what I thought might happen. Installing new RAM...and a new SSD should not have any connection with a battery issue suddenly popping up.

Installing RAM and n SSD in that model MBP is pretty easy (not much major surgery).

I would say coincidence is the likely conclusion (a RAM & SSD upgrade should not cause a battery issue). Unless some was done incorrectly by the installer.

Sounds like if this was done...that you were careful.

Three things:

1. Try an SMC Reset.
2. Try an NVRAM/PRAM Reset.
3. How many charge cycles on the battery?

- Nick

Not much useful information, I'm afraid, from the system report (I omitted the model, firmware, etc.):

Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 0
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 1168
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 1
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not much useful information, I'm afraid, from the system report (I omitted the model, firmware, etc.):

Cycle Count: 1

Is this the original battery? A battery cycle count of 1 for a 2012 MacBook Pro is pretty unusual.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Is this the original battery? A battery cycle count of 1 for a 2012 MacBook Pro is pretty unusual.

- Nick

I thought that was weird too. Would the cycle history be erased when the battery is disconnected?

--Eric

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I thought that was weird too. Would the cycle history be erased when the battery is disconnected?

--Eric
The battery history should still be there. Maybe Mac of all trades, put in a new battery before shipping to you?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

How long have you owned this computer?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Notify Mac of All Trades and let them take care of it. Could be a bad battery or charging circuit neither of which was likely caused by you changing memory modules or the hard drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little over a month. No date on the battery.

Reason why I asked was...what member ferrarr mentioned above. Maybe "Mac of All Trades" installed a new/different battery (cycle count of 1)...maybe that battery was defective or a poor quality battery...thus resulting in the current issue.

Seems to me with this being a relatively "new computer" (to you)...the possibility that Mac of All Trades could have installed a different battery...that maybe contacting them about a battery repair/replacement would be in order.

Places like Mac of All Trades that sell used computers...commonly charge upwards of 50% more than the current value of a used computer. Some folks prefer doing this to get the warranty (which a customer more than pays for with that upwards of 50% upcharge). Taking advantage of the warranty in this case would certainly seem like something to do.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.