Macbook and Ubuntu

Reaction score
Just ordered my Macbook and I'd like to also install Ubuntu 6.06 (dapper) there aswell. I've looked into a couple of ways to do this.

Parallels - This was my first thought...but as I'd be using an external HDD to store the majority of my files, i've "heard" that theres some USB support issues (not sure if this is true or not).

Bootcamp - I read on another forum that you can install Ubuntu in Bootcamp WITHOUT a copy of XP (not sure how true this is). I'd rather not have a copy of XP on the laptop as I only use XP primarily for gaming.

Heres the links which I found regarding bootcamp..

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1211755#post1211755

http://www.planetisaac.com/articles/ubuntuinstall.html

Any info, suggestions or help would be great. This is my first mac since the old G3..so I'm looking forward to trying it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I have installed Ubuntu 606 in an external drive using parallels and so far had no problems. Good thing about using parallels is that you can resize the linux partition at a later stage, depending on you needs. But certainly it is bit slower than installing with Bootcamp. But so far the speed is never been an issue to me.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i'm interested as you said you got ubuntu 606 on an external drive. I've been trying for a few days to get mine on an external drive but, it just doesnt seem to want to boot.

I've installed the OS to the external drive and put GRUB on a floppy (this was an idea suggested on the offical forums) but it just doesnt seem to want to boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
boletje said:
thanks for the reply. i'm interested as you said you got ubuntu 606 on an external drive. I've been trying for a few days to get mine on an external drive but, it just doesnt seem to want to boot.

I've installed the OS to the external drive and put GRUB on a floppy (this was an idea suggested on the offical forums) but it just doesnt seem to want to boot.

I am not sure whether we are talking about the same thing. What I suggested is to intall Ubuntu 6.06 using Parallels. When you do so Parallels ask for a place to save the virtual drive. Just choose a location in your external HD, and complete the installation process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.