MacBook Aluminium Unibody 2008 screen problems - Any solutions?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I created a thread sometime ago regarding some problems with the screen on my MacBook, and although things did improve and were bearable - things have got progressively worse!

I've included a video which will redirect you to YouTube displaying the fault, it'll be much more effective showing you what's wrong with it, rather than writing an essay describing it! Just to add, I do have complete control of the cursor despite the lines on the screen and tilting the screen will improve it also.

In a nutshell, is it repairable? Or should I look to salvaging it off?

Ideally I would like to get it fixed, but wouldn't want to spend the earth in doing so!

YouTube link:

MacBook Unibody 2008 screen issues - YouTube

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQi-SgCUYTE - If you'd rather copy and paste.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like it might be a loose or defective LVDS cable (video cable). The fact that you can tilt the machine and it will improve the picture also leads me to suspect the cable. However, it could also be another defect - such as with the LCD itself. One test you can do is attach a monitor or TV to the MacBook and see if you get the same symptom on the external.

OP
Z
Reaction score
It looks like it might be a loose or defective LVDS cable (video cable). The fact that you can tilt the machine and it will improve the picture also leads me to suspect the cable. However, it could also be another defect - such as with the LCD itself. One test you can do is attach a monitor or TV to the MacBook and see if you get the same symptom on the external.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with chscag's evaluation. Either that cable is nicked or kinked in some way, or the connectors are just loose. Worst case scenario is a bad LCD panel, but I'd be inclined to believe it's a bad video cable.

Here's instructions on how to inspect/replace. Ifixit.com also sells the parts.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
BTW, before you get too aggressive, check that connector in step 9 of the above tutorial. Mine was a bit loose from the factory (different model, but same setup).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.