Macbook Air/Pro Same Specs...which one?

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new Macbook...mine is a mid 2012 and I think it's time to become current.

I see two Macbooks that seem to have the same specs. They are the same price...I am wondering (with the slight exception of the graphics card) what the difference is between the 2 (and of course, the weight)? I am wondering which one to choose?

The Air is MVH22LL/A and the MBP is MXK72LL/A

--Intel Quad Cores i5
-- 8 RAM
--Intel Iris Plus Graphics (with the exception the Pro seems to have the 645)

I want to run Sims 4 on it (maybe Sims3, but it appears Sims 3 doesn't do well on integrated graphics?).

Here are Sims 4 recommended settings

Processor: Intel Core i5 or better
Memory (RAM): 8 GB
Hard drive (free space): At least 18 GB of free space.
Graphics card (video): NVIDIA GTX 650 or better
Input: Keyboard and mouse
Internet connection: Internet connection required for product activation

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There has to be more of a difference in specs. Maybe model year is different?

Anyway, the MBP is more of a performance device, whereas the MBA is more of a convenience device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Everymac.com says those two models are both 2020, so not different years. You can see the difference if you go to Everymac.com and enter the model numbers.

Reaction score
Well, here are the two computers you're referring to. Here are the differences that I notice:

MacBook Air has a newer (10th Gen) i5 and a lower clock speed.
MacBook Pro has an older (8th Gen) i5 and a higher clock speed.

The memory speed and types are different.

The Air has a 512GB SSD; the Pro has a 256GB SSD

The Pro has a touchbar; Air does not.

The Pro weighs 0.3 lbs more than the Air.

If it were me, my bets would be on the MBA.

mba.JPG

mbp.JPG

Last edited:
OP
carrie640
Reaction score
Well, here are the two computers you're referring to. Here are the differences that I notice:

MacBook Air has a newer (10th Gen) i5 and a lower clock speed.
MacBook Pro has an older (8th Gen) i5 and a higher clock speed.

The memory speed and types are different.

The MacBook Air has a 512GB SSD; the MacBook Pro has a 256GB SSD

The MacBook Pro has a touchbar; MacBook Air does not.

Also, from what I understand, the 13-inch MacBook Pros still have the "butterfly" keyboard that a lot of people don't seem to like (apparently it is loud, doesn't feel great to type on, and is prone to malfunctioning from dust/dirt/etc. The MacBook Air has a normal scissor mechanism keyboard. Now, I could be wrong about that, but I know I read where people were delaying purchasing a 13" MBP because of that - but maybe they were wrong too.

View attachment 31663

View attachment 31664

LOLOL I put thevwrong air model of air model in.....DUH. it was one that had the same harddrive.... I will have to go back and find it. That aside, performance is better on the pro?

- - - Updated - - -

here is the link to the air.... appreciate all the help! Access Denied

OP
carrie640
Reaction score
ok...so i cant link:(. This is what it says: Apple - MacBook Air 13.3" Laptop with Touch ID - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive (Latest Model) - Gold
Model:MVH52LL/A SKU:6366614

Reaction score
ok...so i cant link:(. This is what it says: Apple - MacBook Air 13.3" Laptop with Touch ID - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 512GB Solid State Drive (Latest Model) - Gold
Model:MVH52LL/A SKU:6366614

First of all, scratch that part about the keyboards...after looking it up again, it appears that no Macbooks have the butterfly keyboard anymore.

Secondly, the specs you just listed for the Air are what I screen-shot above (it's the $1299 base config on Apple's website, not the $999 one). If you configure the $1299 base-config Pro to have a 512GB SSD, you have to add $200 more, making them not the same price anymore. I have not compared these two machines personally, but for the use you describe, I would be leaning towards the Air for more bang for the buck.

Last edited:
OP
carrie640
Reaction score
Thank you!!! After more looking around, I went with a 2019 Macbook Pro...it was an open box and I saved some money in the process. I was able to test it out with the butterfly keyboard and I had no issues with it so I think it will be ok!! I've got 15 days to give it a whirl! :)

Thanks for the help!!!

Reaction score
Thank you!!! After more looking around, I went with a 2019 Macbook Pro...it was an open box and I saved some money in the process. I was able to test it out with the butterfly keyboard and I had no issues with it so I think it will be ok!! I've got 15 days to give it a whirl! :)

Thanks for the help!!!

Sounds good! Just out of curiosity (and only if you're willing to share), where did you purchase it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.