Macbook air or Macbook pro retina early-2015

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need to buy a new laptop soon and I don't have a big budget. Right now I'm trying to chose between a Macbook Air 13 (MMGF2) and a Macbook pro retina early-2015 (Mf839).

I will need this laptop to develop apps (xCode, Android Studio, Netbeans, MAMP, some dbms and maybe VirtualBox). Do you guys think a Macbook air will work well in this scenario? Is there any developers here working with a MacBook Air and if so, how it work for you?

The main points that are making me prefer an Air right now are the weight and the battery life, but I fear it will not have enough power for my day-to-day activities.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It appears Apple has abandoned the MacBook Air and replaced it with the MacBook and new Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro. Anyway, if you need more computing power go with the best MacBook Pro you can afford. You can always purchase a refurbished MacBook Pro or Air from the Apple refurbished site. Still plenty available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would go for the MacBook Pro only because of that quad core processor and you are planning to develop apps. Nothing against the Air. I have one of both - Air and Pro. I use the Air for media consumption and the Pro for heavy lifting.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.