• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook Air External DVD / Optical Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
helping a friend....on MacBook Air... we know has no rom anymore. have external rom drive. put dvd in but cant get it to play. does she need an app?
on my MacBook Pro... movie just plays auto using DVD player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
helping a friend....on MacBook Air... we know has no rom anymore. have external rom drive. put dvd in but cant get it to play. does she need an app?
on my MacBook Pro... movie just plays auto using DVD player.

Hi Lori - please provide some more information about the MBAir - what year, how much RAM, and how much storage plus what is left - see pic below of my MBAir - info needed is indicated; also click on storage to determine the size of the SSD and how much storage is left - also what type of external drive is being used to play the DVD? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.35.24 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
what type of external drive is being used to play the DVD? Dave :)

Dave's point is very important. If your friend is using Apple's Super Drive, it's very easy to have the drive upside down, believe me.

The silver side should be uppermost and the black side with the Apple Icon placed downwards on the table.

When a DVD is inserted it should spin up and play.

To help matters, if not already done, it might be useful to Go into Finder > Preferences > General and check the box for showing CDs/DVDs on the Desktop as in this screenshot:

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 9.29.46 am☀️.png

That way, when the Drive is attached to the MBA and AFTER a CD or DVD is inserted, it should show up on the Desktop. That will confirm that the Drive and CD are being recognised.

Please post back, lori.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Something else to check:

Make sure the DVD was inserted the correct way. Turn it over just to be sure?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
if i am understanding this right, she is unable to play a dvd on her mac book air. she will need an application like VLC in order to play a dvd.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
ok thankyou all for great suggestions.... she text me as said she just watched on her TV.

at some point i should figure this out for her.
i will check and see how often she wants to watch movie on macbook air and how important a resolution is to her.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.