Macbook Air A1237 Gray Screen on startup

Reaction score
Hi, I have one of the earliest model Macbook Airs and I replaced the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. I put the new battery in and on the first start up everything worked fine. I left it on and charged it while it was on. Well when I saw that the battery was full I took the charger off and closed the lid because I wasn't using it. The next day I go to start it up and starts up with just a white/gray screen with no logo on it. It will stay that way for as long as I leave it. Any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I went ahead and moved this to the 'Apple Notebooks' section, since it didn't have anything to do with 'Community Suggestions and Feedback'.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks Mod, sorry.

I tried the SMC Reset...and it worked, but as soon as I turned the Macbook off and back on same thing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried the SMC Reset...and it worked, but as soon as I turned the Macbook off and back on same thing.

I guess that's good news & bad news.:):(

Assuming that no problems occurred when the old battery was removed or when the new battery was installed (component or cable damage, reassembly done properly, etc.). Since the previous battery was not holding a charge (not sure if this was age related)…there is the possibility that the "battery problem" is not battery related at all. But related to something else…such as some other sort of hardware failure.

Of course your next question will be…"What sort of other hardware failure?".;) And my reply is…no idea at this point. Since I do not know the history of this computer (whether it has been exposed to physical hazards/drops or hard bumps, exposed to liquid, run over by a car, etc.).

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I actually got 2 batteries for it and it does the same thing with both. Before replacing the battery, in which I had to keep the Mac on a charger, it worked just fine. Could the issue be that I'm using a non genuine battery (Non OEM)? Or is this gray/white screen a common issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first important step is to determine if this issue is battery related or not battery related. The first thing I would do is…reinstall the old original battery. Even if the old original battery does not hold a charge…you said that the computer still worked when plugged in.

If the computer does not work properly when the original battery is reinstalled (and the computer plugged in)…then I would seriously consider that something got damaged or not reinstalled properly when the new battery/batteries were installed.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.