Macbook Air 2020 questions from a a potential buyer.

Reaction score
I have a big birthday coming up and would like to treat myself to the latest Macbook Air.I have some basic questions though.For the past 5 years I have owned a 2010 27” iMac and a Windows laptop.I notice the new Air has a lack of connections and I do not know if there is a way around it.I would want my Air to be ethernet connected 95% of the time and plugged into the mains electric at the same time.I would also like to use a usb mouse although I suppose a bluetooth one would do the job.Also the ability to connect usb memory sticks and my Sony Walkman digital mp3 player.Can all this be easily accommodated by the Air?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Firstly...congrats on the the upcoming "big birthday".:)

Regarding the MacBook Air and ports. Apple is almost constantly changing up the ports on computers...I'm 95% sure if you cannot plug your older equipment in directly to a 2020 MacBook Air...you can find the appropriate adapter.

Also...just in case you didn't know...Apple is in the process of switching from Intel CPU's to "Apple Silicon" hardware...and the newest MacBook Air is one of the first models with the new Apple M1 chip. Performance is greatly improved according to reviews & benchmark scores...this a great time to be purchasing a new MacBook Air.

Here's some basic info in the newest MacBook Air's:

If not familiar with the new hardware Apple is coming out with (Apple silicon)...I would suggest checking out some review articles as well.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I recently faced the same problem with a MacBook Air provided for work. Suddenly things such as flash drives didn't connect. Rather than by a plethora of adapters, I settled on this hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHKMQ1D/?tag=macforums0e4-20

A host of similar devices are cheaper if you don't need all of the ports this device offers. I've been using this one since September with no issues.

Edit: One thing worth noting when purchasing this type of hub. Some of them support charging the Mac by plugging the charging cable into the hub. Not all of them support this option so if this is important to you check this out carefully.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The lack of ports is not a huge deal, you'd just use a USB-C hub that will give you all the extra connectivity that you want. I would suggest that you spend money on a decent brand/model for the hub, otherwise you'll end up wasting a lot of time chasing after bad behavior.

Virtually all of the hubs will give you an HDMI, 2x USB type-A ports, RJ45 connector. A lot of them have SD card reader as well. So depending on what you want to plug into the MBA, find the hub that matches.

At work, I use a Wavlink Docking Station that runs 2x external monitors up to 4x@60hz and has the necessary interfaces I need.

I've also had very good luck with the Satechi USB-C hub.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like it so far. Some of the less expensive models did not have an ethernet port or support a VGA monitor. Both of those things come in handy at some of the places that I need to use the computer.

If I didn't need the portability this hub offers, I'd probably have opted for a docking station instead.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recently faced the same problem with a MacBook Air provided for work. Suddenly things such as flash drives didn't connect. Rather than by a plethora of adapters, I settled on this hub https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DHKMQ1D/?tag=macforums0e4-20

A host of similar devices are cheaper if you don't need all of the ports this device offers. I've been using this one since September with no issues.

I've been looking into this recently as well...and totally agree. Can get USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 hubs like this for around $25 (or even less)...but don't have support for VGA (if needed). If need VGA...around $50+ seems to be the norm.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I travel to a couple of different schools in the course of a week. If necessary, I can use ethernet in a pinch with that hub. I don't often need VGA, but you never know. It's not a total waste since I still have a VGA monitor kicking around the place.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was shopping on Amazon...quite a few there. Check out Amazon UK to get things rolling.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I have taken the plunge and have the M1 on its way from Costco for £914.Also ordered a ethernet hub from Amazon for about £20.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have taken the plunge and have the M1 on its way...

Congrats! Once you get it & have had time to "take it for a spin"...please let us know what you think!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have taken the plunge and have the M1 on its way from Costco for £914.Also ordered a ethernet hub from Amazon for about £20.

Congrats! I have the M1 MacBook Air myself and it is utterly fantastic! I did have a couple issues early on, one of which involved one of the ports failing to charge or mount a USB drive, but rebooting would fix that. It’s been some time since I last saw it or the other oddity happen (unable to connect to WiFi for Apple Diagnostics) so I am confident they were fixed with the 11.1 update. There have been reports of bluetooth issues with some Mac minis (not sure about MacBooks) so be aware of that possibility. A fix reportedly is coming with the 11.2 update.

OP
C
Reaction score
Congrats! I have the M1 MacBook Air myself and it is utterly fantastic! I did have a couple issues early on, one of which involved one of the ports failing to charge or mount a USB drive, but rebooting would fix that. It’s been some time since I last saw it or the other oddity happen (unable to connect to WiFi for Apple Diagnostics) so I am confident they were fixed with the 11.1 update. There have been reports of bluetooth issues with some Mac minis (not sure about MacBooks) so be aware of that possibility. A fix reportedly is coming with the 11.2 update.

The M1 will be my home computer as well as a portable device.Would you know if its safe enough ti leave it plugged to the mains most of the time.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The M1 will be my home computer as well as a portable device.Would you know if its safe enough ti leave it plugged to the mains most of the time.?

No less than anything else, although you certainly should use a good surge protector. I'm actually using one made by Anker that has a USB-C port built into it that will charge the MBA just fine. No need for the brick that comes with the Mac. I keep that in my laptop bag now for travel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W48M1NY/?tag=macforums0e4-20

EDIT: I forgot you were in the UK. That link was for Amazon US. I'm looking over the Amazon UK page and a UK version of this apparently isn't carried there.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not a big fan of surge protectors even though they are useful for certain electronic devices. I would rather use a good UPS especially in areas where thunderstorms are a common occurrence like here in Texas.

OP
C
Reaction score
Only had the M1 for a day now and its pretty impressive.As this will be my main home computer and would stay in place for 95% of the time would it be a good idea to use a separate kb and mouse?Have seen many people doing this in various videos.Bluetooth or wired ?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As this will be my main home computer and would stay in place for 95% of the time would it be a good idea to use a separate kb and mouse?

It certainly is a personal preference, as Bob says. Maybe this story will help???

My wife is a touch typist and generally prefers a "proper" KB. When I got her a MacBookPro, she started off with a Mouse and her precious KB. A month later, and it was Trackpad and inbuilt KB.

The point of that story - if there is one - is that I suggest you try out the Trackpad and inbuilt KB first before laying out cash for a Mouse and formal KB.

Ian

Reaction score

Safe...yes. A good idea? Probably not.

Apple recommends not leaving their laptops plugged in all the time as this will decrease the life of their lithium batteries.

And that is consistent with the general recommendation for just about all lithium ion batteries in just about every application. It's best to avoid charging lithium ion batteries over 80% or letting them discharge under 30%.

They also do better if the battery actually gets used, rather than using power from the wall socket. (This is often described as "Lithium ion batteries live longest if you keep the electrons moving.")

From Apple:
http://web.archive.org/web/20130425025000/http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time."
"Long-Term Storage
If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge."

https://lifehacker.com/5875162/how-often-should-i-charge-my-gadgets-battery-to-prolong-its-lifespan
"...lithium-ion batteries do best when you discharge them for a little bit, then charge them for a little bit."
"Similarly, lithium-ion batteries don't need to be charged all the way to 100%. In fact, they'd prefer not to be—so the 40%-80% rule... is a good guideline. When possible, keep it in that range to prolong its life as long as you can. And, if you do charge it to 100%, don't leave it plugged in."

https://www.popsci.com/charge-batteries-right
"Shallow discharges and recharges are better than full ones, because they put less stress on the battery, so it lasts longer. When your battery is discharging, Battery University recommends that you only let it reach 50 percent before topping it up again. While you're charging it back up, you should also avoid pushing a lithium-ion battery all the way to 100 percent."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.