MacBook Air 2019 A1932 Retina - Display Problems

Reaction score
Good day,
maybe you have ideas and can help.

My girlfriend has a Macbook Air 2019 A1932 with Retina display. The display doesn't always turn on when she opens/closes it, but you can see that the backlight turns on. According to Apple, the display is broken and must be replaced --> 480€.
Unfortunately, I only know Windows products.
But it seems quite strange to me how the display should be defective, because once the display turns on, it stays on! You can use the Macbook for >4h without problems. If it goes into a state where the display shuts off (like sleep) and you restart it the display only shows the backlight (sometimes it worls fine). The device is running, because if you connect an external display it works without issues.

What we have tried:
- All updates
- Reinstalled
- SMC Reset
- PRAM Reset (after that the display comes back most reliable, but not always)
- NVRAM Reset

I've heard about Flexgate on other Macbooks, but it's not supposed to affect this product. The behavior does not change when the display is moved. I don't want to buy a display myself and change it if it doesn't solve the problem at all.

Do you have any ideas?

Many greetings and thanks Michael

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm, well I do know that the ribbon cable plug that connects the screen is comprised of multiple contacts. I'm also aware that these contacts can in certain circumstances become corroded. In the case where conductivity is borderline the connection can become intermittent, effected by temperature, humidity etc.
Having said that, Apple generally does not waste time looking for "minor" faults. They tend to take a broad brush attitude to repair. That is, as an example, rather than fix a faulty key they replace the whole keyboard. You may find more helpful information on a site like iFixit (Fixing the world, one gizmo at a time. | iFixit News) if you are willing to tackle the repair yourself or a reputable Mac repair shop. Dismantling, cleaning the contacts and reassembling is obviously going to be a lot cheaper than 480 euros. The danger is that if it can't be easily repaired then you may be up for the repair costs plus replacement.

This, in my mind is why Apple take the replace rather than repair route. Case in point: I bought a new 2015 MBP, I had a keyboard problem where letters would repeat, I'd press "d" once and get dddddddddd. This happened with about 5 different keys. Apple first replaced the keyboard and connecting cable, when that didn't work they simply gave me a brand new 2015 MBP. Of course I was just within the warranty period whereas I assume you are not.

OP
P
Reaction score
@Rod Thanks for your Ideas. I reseatet the plugs and alsi cleaned them, but sadly it made no difference.
The Board otherwise looked good.

I still can't belive that the monitor is actually bad. We disabled the sleep/display disable features and the macbook runs complete flawless. Only if the display shuts off you have to reset it mulitble times until it comes back. You can use the macbook multiple hours, no Problemo.

Your story sounds rough. Like, they repair something. If it wasn't the problem they give you a new one on the second try. No wonder the display change costs so much.

Too bad that its not sure wether it is actually the display. Buying such a expensive part, just to realise something else is bad is just not worth the hassle :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.