Macbook Air 2012 Water Spill

Reaction score
Hi guys, so i have a macbook air 2012 that has been water-spilled. Now the macbook swithes on automatically when i plug in the charger. it will then arrive to login screen and after i log in the progress bars never start so im gussing it freezes at that moment. The fan also spins at high rpm.

so first what i did is replace the ssd with a working ssd. Result iss that i have the same problem progress bar never starts.

so then i started troubleshooting by using schematics and boardview. i assumed that a mosfet might be shorted since its switching on automatically. all of the mosfet i tested seem to function correctly.

I also checked diodes, resistance and fuses but still no luck.

Any help would be great !

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Water damage is notorious to track down and the issue might be manifest itself with a burned out component. The general guidance on fixing water issues (if it is worth it) is to replace the logicboard and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Water damage is notorious to track down and the issue might be manifest itself with a burned out component. The general guidance on fixing water issues (if it is worth it) is to replace the logicboard and hope for the best.

Or sometines if it's already pretty kaput, soak the logic board in de-ionized distilled water for a while and then let it dry for several days. There's a chance it may work to fix the problem. Maybe… but it can't hurt or get much worse if it's already kaput!!!

But obviously, if there's any sign of any "burned out component" as already mentioned, that method won't help fix things.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Water spill thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/271875-official-spilled-liquid-macbook-thread.html

Like Ashwin mentioned...water spills are not "logical"...anything can happen. Thus doing "logical" troubleshooting many times does not lead to "logical" solutions. Many times you may be dealing with multiple issues (multiple parts affected)...and sometimes multiple issues on the same part (such as the logic board). Many times the logic board is the issue...and replacing the logic board is rarely an acceptable solutuin (too much $$$$).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. Well i have high hopes as the macbook still switches on and proceeds to the login screen thats the reason why im still trying. i will try the de-ionized distilled water and see what happens nothing to loose i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.