Mac won't connect to wifi?

Reaction score
Hello guys.. I had a quick scan, but couldn't find a solution? Every time I open my Mac Pro, airport searches then gives in! Now and again it'll ask for my password, then tell me it's invalid when I enter it? It's driving me insane! All my other devices are fine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (BT Homehub 5)

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello guys.. I had a quick scan, but couldn't find a solution? Every time I open my Mac Pro, airport searches then gives in! Now and again it'll ask for my password, then tell me it's invalid when I enter it? It's driving me insane! All my other devices are fine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (BT Homehub 5)

Hi Ben - welcome to the forum! :) Since your other devices are 'fine', I would first suggest renewing your DHCP lease on the MBPro - go into 'System Preferences' (also tell us which macOS is installed on the laptop) -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Renew DHCP Lease - see attachments below (first Apple's KB article on the topic - second from my MBAir on Sierra macOS).

Let us know if your problem is corrected; if not, then I would suggest that you 'power recycle' your modem/router (pull the power, wait a while, and re-power) and reboot your laptop, if not already done. Dave
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.56.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.53.40 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the swift reply Dave.

I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6. I rebooted MBP and router several times in desperation to no avail, as soon as I received the email notification for your reply (via my phone) I opened my mac lid, and wollop! it's connected! I've followed your instructions and opened the lid/shut down/fiddled a bit with it, and it seems to be stable.
Fingers crossed it'll stay that way.

Thanks again.
Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thank you for the swift reply Dave.

I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6. I rebooted MBP and router several times in desperation to no avail, as soon as I received the email notification for your reply (via my phone) I opened my mac lid, and wollop! it's connected! I've followed your instructions and opened the lid/shut down/fiddled a bit with it, and it seems to be stable.
Fingers crossed it'll stay that way.

Hi again Ben - well, not sure if I helped much, but hope your success continues! :) Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm still having a huge problem connecting? I'm actually connected to BTFON on the same Mac which is refusing to connect to my router? I'm totally stuck here guys.. Any other ideas would be most appreciated.

Ben.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Routers fail every few years in my book. Got another to try? And you said first this is a Mac Pro, then a Mac Book Pro. Airtport Extreme cards are easy to swap over if this is a MBP.

OP
B
Reaction score
Routers fail every few years in my book. Got another to try? And you said first this is a Mac Pro, then a Mac Book Pro. Airtport Extreme cards are easy to swap over if this is a MBP.

It's a MBP, and it does connect every so often. I think you may be right with it being the router. The Hub 5 is terrible!

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.